Friday 23 June 2017

Crochet Raffia Hat

I would hate to just make blankets, or just knit socks or just make scarves. For me, crafting is about trying everything out there.


 Here's a new one - crocheting with raffia. Not just any old raffia this is a strong material made specially for crochet because it does not break. For my Minerva make this month, I thought I would try it out.


I am making a summer hat. I am not good at wearing a hat in the summer, I have thick hair, but one with a good brim would be fabulous for sitting in the garden to read, stitch or crochet.





I got stuck on row 24 but realised I had a pattern reading error with brackets and sorted the problem by searching Ravelry and finding out that somebody else had done exactly the same thing!



As I made it I kept trying it on. It looked like a floppy, wobbly, child's hat. I was getting disheartened but persevered.



I tied it off and decided I needed to really block it well.



I blocked it and sprayed it with laundry starch. It was better but still not right. As a last resort I painted it in PVA glue and put it in the sun to dry. YAY! it worked...





I made a plaited braid to add a finishing touch. I am really pleased with the final result even though it required some problem solving to get it to the shape I wanted. 


My Three Top Tips

Crochet one or two rows at a time - the raffia is hard on your hand muscles to pull it through the crochet loops.

Stiffen the hat with PVA glue on the upper and lower brim only not the crown which remains soft and comfortable

Add a plaited braid to complete the hat.

 I love to learn new things and crochet with raffia was a useful skill to learn. It even traveled well inside my suitcase to take on holiday, popping back into shape on arrival.

Jo xxx

10 comments:

  1. Love it but in windy Wales I would struggle to keep it on my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo that is superb, what a lovely hat. Great problem solving and it will help others that are wanting to try it. Overall a brilliant make. Oh and did I say it really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely and really does suit you. Like Pam not suitable for wearing here with all the wind we have but a wonderful addition to my holiday wardrobe when I go to Florida. I may give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! I had a hat similar to it once, but not one I made. Thanks for the how to help should I ever get to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful you like a film star! You do make a variety Jo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Jo, you are amazing. I tried to crochet with raffia once, to make baskets I think and they were horrible, I bet the glue would have helped. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that is just a fabulous hat :0) mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this! It suits you well, and the brim has just the right amount of flop. I recently bought a lovely panama hat, I'm quite taken with it. x

    ReplyDelete