Tuesday 4 April 2017

Sampler Quilt Block 2 - Star

Onto Block number two of Meg's quilt which was really easy to put together. I went to my patchwork box and found all sorts of left over shapes from previous quilts. I had six diamonds left over with the papers in so I made up two more and got hand stitching to make an eight pointed star for block 2.



After making a 13 x 13" block as my first square I have had a rethink and decided to scale down to 12 x 12 " because I can use some block tutorials online which come out at that size. I can still use the tiny squares one but I will need to press it, cut it down and straighten it up evenly. 
 

I'm enjoying exploring old techniques and searching for new ones both on the machine and for hand sewing.

Jo xxx

6 comments:

  1. Oh that block looks super. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to fiddle with scraps and see how they want to come together. The practice pillow I made awhile back came together interestingly. I had not set aside a piece for the backing, but in my saved scraps I had a piece that was almost the perfect size...it needed just a bit more for one corner and I managed to eek that corner out from an extra already cut square from the same material. There is a bit of a pucker because I did not know how to match the corners perfectly...but I am using and enjoying the pillow on my bed. Meg will have another treasure of your love when you are done with this quilt. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks tricky! I never made a star shaped anything, not with fabric anyway. The fabric with the teeny tiny birds is very sweet. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to use up those little patches you have squirrelled away. I bet this quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely block. I have made a couple of basic quilts and found it so hard to match up joins - can't imagine doing anything like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! It looks complicated and simple at the same time which is lovely - and means that it is really complicated I expect as the simple things usually are!

    ReplyDelete