Friday 28 April 2017

Lined Cleo Dungaree Skirt

Having a dog is taking me to new photo shoot places. This is only three minutes from our house but it makes a great backdrop for my new Cleo Dungaree skirt with a filter on.



The story... I made my first Cleo in a cord that was too lightweight probably about 16 wale: it stuck to my tights, it rode up at the back, the clips were too heavy for the straps etc. etc. So I embarked on another one. This cord was in a donated box I received in January from a work colleague. It is more of an 8 wale weight. Luckily in the box, there was also some lining. I decided upon a lined Cleo to solve some of the wearing problems.



I had a few fit issues with the last one too. Although it is a relaxed style is was way too big around the waist, add to that a swayback and I could get a loaf of bread through the back straps. I took some off the waist but now I have to wiggle to get it over my hips but it is not a problem, it feels much better.


Here is the front...It hangs so much better now. This time, I am wearing the pinafore not 'it' is wearing me which is what it felt like in the olive green one. 


And the back...The sway back is obvious but not an issue when I am wearing it.(so is my frozen shoulder injury with a dipping shoulder like that!) 


Anyway the cord and lining were perfect which was all free so it feels like a win win project all around. Here is a photo of the true colour without barn door filters.

I am going to revisit my original one next, take off the facings (liberty fabric which is top stitched Gulp!) and line it with the rest of the gifted lining fabric - at least I can enjoy wearing it then.

Thanks for stopping by. Jo xxxx

Edit: Corduroy is found in the construction of trousers, jackets and shirts. The width of the cord is commonly referred to as the size of the "wale" (i.e. the number of ridges per inch). The lower the "wale" number, the thicker the width of the wale (e.g., 4-wale is much thicker than 11-wale).

14 comments:

  1. Looking great, as always. Your pup is adorable, too. Enjoy the long weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to learn what did not work in your first project and how you intend to reconstruct it! Very cute new make, puppy and you . Happy weekend to you and yours. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing, I love the vibrant colour. Your little pup is adorable, they certainly get you out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely Jo. The colour is very wearable. Can you explain Wale I've not heard the term before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Cleo Jo. Its great. I aim to finish my lined Cleo by the end of May. Me-Made-May is going to give me that little push to finish those half completed projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to that. When you said you were doing it I thought, 'great minds think alike!'

      Delete
  6. Another success, Jo! Looks wonderful on you. At first I thought the dog was taking the photo, but then he joined you.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to line your second Cleo! I made my first one out of a lightweight cord as well. Unfortunately it is so lightweight you can see through it. :-(

    I made my second one with denim, which took care of that problem. But I really like your idea, should I decide to try another one in cord again. Yours is lovely! Cute puppy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, brings back memories of a burgundy cord one I had many years ago. Gorgeous puppy too. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you uses the pattern piece twice to line it? I have two wearable cleos, mine are heavy denim so don't need lining. But I have a pretty fuchsia needlecord that would look lovely but far too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Louise, yes I just cut them in lining, did accurate seam allowances and sewed around the bib and underarm all in one go. I did not use facing too but you could sandwich those in if your cord is really thin. Such an easy way to transform this make. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great make Jo! Looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jo this is exactly what I want to do with a Cleo I am going to make but I don't know the best fabric for lining. I'd like a funky cotton but wondered whether it should anti static acetate lining. Could you let me know what you used and did you just line the skirt? Many thanks Andrea

    ReplyDelete