Friday 28 October 2016

A Sweater in half an hour?

Well actually it has been a lot of half hours added together, but I bet I got ya there!I have a rotator cuff frozen shoulder injury at the moment and have had since July but I was hoping it would just get better. In September it really was unbearable so knitting and crochet stopped altogether for a while and then I started up in 30 minute increments - literally, I had the cooker timer on and when the bell went, I had to stop. Bloke was checking too so there was no cheating.



I lifted three bags of bark out of the car just before the summer holidays started which it turns out on closer inspection were 40kg each. I thought they were a bit heavy when I lifted the first one but continued to lug them up the steps to the garden. My arm really hurt afterwards and never really got right over summer. I get a bit crazy like that when I want something done but I am regretting it now.

Annnyway in knitting terms... it just goes to show what you can achieve in half hour knitting sessions. Did I just say I get a bit crazy when I want something? well, I really wanted this sweater so it called for a crazy approach. Eventually this chunky warm sweater emerged after two months of gentle knitting.

 

You feel instantly warm as soon as you put it on. I used 5 balls of Wendy Serenity Chunky on 6mm needles and the pattern (Sirdar 84590) was really simple and easy to keep track of, there was not a stitch count out all the way through. 


I did have to unravel the front 5 inches when I realised I had done 1x1 rib instead of 2x2 rib which irked me because it was such a slow burner and every row counted as progress.


I am having physio now so the yarn stash is piling up and the fabric stash is going down as I am finding it easier to sew at the moment. I have found that I can't actually live my life without making things but as I say 'when I want something....' These photos were taken at A National Trust Property called Upton House and Gardens where we chuckled at this sign by the outdoor swimming pool!


No sympathy needed but oohs and ahs for the sweater would be much appreciated. 


Thanks Jo xx

14 comments:

  1. Sweater is lovely Jo and green what a surprise. Hope your shoulder is getting better. It's been a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohs and Ahhhs for your lovely new green sweater, Jo! I truly do admire it [especially the collar and buttons] and your disciplined determination to enjoy making it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love and admire your determination in knitting this wonderful jumper. I love the colour and the collar and of course the button detail, you know how I love a button. Hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great sweater. Prove that even in small amounts creativity really adds up. Hope your shoulder gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the jumper xxx and the colour xx hope your shoulder gets better soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ... Ah, the sweater is just lovely. (and a little bit of sympathy for the poorly shoulder just because it's not possible to read this and not feel your pain! It's so quick and easy to hurt yourself in a way that can take an age to recover)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge Oohs and Aahs are being sent your way. The sweater is brilliant Jo, great color and perfect fit. Now get that shoulder healed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got there because it is a great jumper!! Hope you enjoy wearing it after all of that hard work, hope your shoulder is much better soon and you can get back to your normal knitting and crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely jumper. I especially like the way it buttons at the side. So you will be knitting the swimming cossie next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done, you! I really like your measured, disciplined approach and that you managed to get it done despite injury. Very impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jo. I feel your pain!
    I've had exactly the same thing these past 9 months. No crochet, no knitting and no sewing for me. Hence no blogging. It was so distressing and painful at the time. Even rolling out pastry was a task.
    I'm alright now but still restricted to just an hour a night.
    Keep up the exercises from the physio. It is such a relief when little by little it starts to undo itself. Expect a few set backs but you'll get there in the end.
    It really makes you appreciate free movement! Love, Lucie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's absolutely gorgeous and you look great in it, you pretty lady. I share your single minded determination when I have my sights on something and I am very impatient. Hats off to you for making this in half hour increments!

    I know you said no sympathy, but ouch. I hope it's better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jo, you are a woman on a mission indeed, but the result is wonderful. Do look after your shoulder. Experience with a torn rotator cuff from aeons ago has taught me that the old injury is very easily reawakened. I fell off my bike at the end of May and jarred my bad shoulder which is still not quite right and keeps me awake at night if I overdo it at the allotment. Thanks too for the reminder of a lovely holiday we had at Bog Cottage on the Upton estate one October half term when my two were probably the age yours are now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got there didn't you, even doing it a bit at a time! It looks great, I love the colour. xx

    ReplyDelete