Tuesday 10 October 2023

Exciting Weekend

 I had the most exciting weekend at the Minerva Pop up shop Birthday event at the end of September. Much of my sewing work of late was under wraps leading up to this event. I was one of the sample sewers for the garments displayed around the hall along with Dianne from Sew Create, Recycle. We both sewed our way through the wet summer creating over 30 items of clothes. It was wonderful to actually meet Dianne in person as we are 'work colleagues' albeit remotely so we love to keep in contact.

I got to use some of the new stretch crush velvet to make both evening wear and day wear along with lots of other discoveries into new fabric types.  


Sewing with boiled wool and Vegan wool coating was a big challenge. The coatigan is with Minerva as a sample but Andy bagged the peacoat for himself.

At the evening event there was a catwalk of dressmakers in their outfits followed by food and dancing. There were sewing bee contestants galore as well as a chat with Patrick Grant! He was great fun and really entered into the spirit of celebration.

Sewing has been a bit slower since the event - time for a bit of a rest and a clear out in the studio but I really enjoyed being part of the Minerva team which I normally collate with remotely. Meeting the people you email everyday helps you to make a real connection.

In other sewing news I have been adding to my underwear drawer with some comfy makes. This is the Watson bra and Iris knickers from Tilly and the buttons. I think I now only own two pairs of shop bought knickers! I then decided to adapt the bra pattern slightly to make it underwired for a better shape. 

I am pleased to report that my second daughter has also enjoyed some sewing. She likes painting more that constructing but asked to make some tartan PJ bottoms after her epic one year crochet make. That girl has gumption. I have never actively asked my children to sew I run on the phrase "never offer, never refuse"  

  

Big girl has been enjoying sewing too even more so now that she has started 6th form and she can wear her own clothe instead of a uniform. She has been loving shortening her T-shirts and adding transfers. The transfer paper was a gift for her birthday in August and she has loved experimenting with motifs.


I think that is all of us isn't it? All enjoying wearing me made clothes from learning new skills. Thanks for dropping by for my rather indulgent post!

Jo xxxx

4 comments:

  1. You all look so glamorous at the Minerva event, and well done on all of that sewing. The top you have on is gorgeous, and I love the hay backdrop. Also Andy and your pup looking very modelish. Nice work! I need to learn to make knickers. Shop ones are never quite right :) CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! This looks like an absolutely fun event. I do love the coat you made for Andy, just what my man would wear. Also love the crush velvet top you are wearing in one of the photos. Perfect colours! Hurray for creative children. Mine are just not and this makes me sad. I sometimes offer and never refuse but it has been at least two years since one of mine asked. Have a fabulous weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a really fun time at the Minerva event. Nice to meet up with some of the folk you work with remotely.
    Love the coatigan and the evening wear. Your girls have also made some lovely items over the Summer. Sending creative hugs to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo what fabulous photos, I really enjoyed meeting you and was a great day wasn't it. Can you believe I was that busy chatting to people that I forgot to take a single photo! I also placed my own personal order the next morning as I wanted solids and the fabrics were out of stock so had to cancel it, boo hoo. I need to rethink my plan now. Your girls have been busy and are looking so grown up. I hope you are enjoying the slower pace. Have a super week.xx

    ReplyDelete