Friday 29 September 2023

More Winter Veg

 My gardening post this month brings you my attempt at trying to get more out of the veg plot over a longer period of time. It is three years old and for the first three years I have essentially put the garden to bed at the end of September. This year I have tried to extend the season by growing different things.


My first ever go at leeks has been successful. I only tried six pre bought plants to test out the soil and they were good so I will do this again. I grew half of my tomatoes outdoors. This has been good but they don't taste as good as the indoor ones but are perfect for cooking with. The spinach is ready to pick and I have a winter variety to put in next. My lettuce are running out and I have winter varieties of these to sow but I might have missed that window.


I am trying some cauli, purple sprouting and some cabbages for the first time but I fear that the butterflies might get the better of me but it is worth a try.


My friend Beth's wedding florist garden is looking fantastic at the moment with lots of roses, dahlias and asters.


I have been picking some stuff to dry. Who knows I might try to keep my table vase going with some dried flowers in the winter months.


Talking of my table flower challenge, I have has some lovely dahlias from Beth and some asters from my garden.


And this pretty set of Penstemon, Anemone, dahlias, September Daisies, and the odd last Lupin.


I have brought my pepper plants indoors and it is making the fruits turn yellow which is fabulous because I am not a big fan of green peppers.



The autumn raspberries are still killing it and I love to pick apples from my neighbours.


Those outdoor tomatoes made a wonderful soup and I was pleased to get another crop pf radish.



Leaving you with our favourite seasonal cake of the moment - spiced apple cake.

Thanks for popping in. Jo xxx

5 comments:

  1. That cake looks delicious! I am with you on the green peppers - I find them much too bitter. Always looking forward to the next season is one of the things I love about gardening. Mind you, it is too easy to forget to appreciate the 'now' in the garden too. Blogs really help with that, don't they?
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking delicious in your corner. I'll be intrigued to see how your winter spinach fares. I've never had much luck! B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is very productive and the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still lots of lovely fruit and veg from your patch Jo. And the spiced apple cake look delicious'
    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very productive, it looks lovely in your garden too. I make cakes with whatever fruit I have in these days as I am finding it all works and there are so many combinations. Your apple cake looks delicious.x

    ReplyDelete