Thursday 6 April 2023

Joy





 

Hello there folks. I have been sewing for fun, not for work. My big girl is getting ready for her end of school prom. We didn't want to leave the dress shenanigans until the last minute hence a finished Prom dress in winter. Heidi chose a pattern where I gave the all clear but unfortunately I did not read the back of the packet properly and it turned out to be for stretch fabrics and we had already received a non-stretch satin. 

Oh dear!  Annnnyways... I made I work and we did a few adaptations. It already had an elasticated waist so we got away with the waist fit and simply cut two bodice pieces and lined the bodice to finish the armholes and neckline. The biggest hack was to add a slit to the back to enable her to get it over her head. Heidi made a lot of the main dress herself and I made the beaded overskirt. This is removable by a hook and eye with the bow covering the join so that she can wear the dress for different events. She absolutely loves it and of course so do I, especially the hem. Five hours of bead unpicking along the seams was not fun but I have almost forgotten that now!  We had a little photo session (in the snow!) because I was sponsored the fabric from Minerva where there is a full write up of the materials used. Here for you folks are simply some eye candy photos. Enjoy!

Thanks for dropping by. Jo xxx

8 comments:

  1. So stunning and she looks beautiful in it. Great job both of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful (from Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow,wow,wow, absolutely stunning. I’ve never realised that Heidi has a look of Jude in her. She is really growing into a beautiful young woman. Well done to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, how absolutely georgeous. The dress is beautiful and Heidi looks stunning. I can't believe your little girl has grown up and is at prom stage already. Where have those years gone. You must be so proud of both you girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that is so beautiful, Heidi looks stunning and pleased with her dress. I love the colour too x

    ReplyDelete