Sunday 1 January 2023

Knitting

 Happy New year to you all! My yarny adventures are back on track after the (still debatable) disastrous tank top project. Here is a little round up of positive wooly goodness. 


This is an easy peasy crochet scarf made solely of chain stitch. If you have a burning desire to learn to crochet then this is  fab starter project because the rhythmn of chaining helps you to fins some muscle memory for how you are going to hold your hook and yarn. It will create your crocheting style. Three people at my new craft group all made one and they wear them with pride. The very simple pattern is on ravelry here


My mum had one ball of yarn left over from my cosy tank top request so I whipped up a hat for our ski holiday which is in February. I used a bit of colour to work the pattern and again, this is a super pattern for beginner colour work fans which you can find here.


My last project from over the holidays is a sort of fail turned triumph. I started making some reindeer socks for myself. I was using two double pointed cable needles but the nay bit at the top seemed too big but I knit on enjoying the colourwork. After the reindeers, I decided not to add the sock part but to add some rib instead and make wrist warmers. 


I loved the process of these; mindful Christmas knitting but I did wonder how much I would wear them. It turns out they are really wearable especially for sitting to read, working on the laptop when I don't have the heating on and for wearing with long sleeved tops and my coat. 


The girls and I have continued to enjoy craft club in which we have taught lots of people to crochet, help to read their knitting patterns or share inspiration for future projects.


The bauble project was to encourage everyone to read a crochet pattern and switch between the stitches they had learnt. "What is a treble again!?" was what I mostly heard that evening!

Sometimes we take quick snap photos of each other to share on a gallery. This one was the turn of my big girl nearly finishing her first sock. My teens sit and chat easily with the women who are all over 50 which makes me very proud. The girls chat and interject with ease and I often ask Heidi to sit next to a new crochet learner to help them along. 

I might have had enough of a break to go back to that sleeveless sweater now...I will keep you updated of course!

Best Wishes for 2023. Jo xxx


8 comments:

  1. Well done Heidi that sock looks great. All those knitting/crocheted projects look wonderful and very wearable which is a big plus. Happy New Year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some gorgeous woolly warmth there Jo. The crochet and knitting look great. Hope they keep you beautifully warm. You must be so proud of your girls and how they are growing up.
    Wishing you a very happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous socks, Heidi! One day, when I am not hundreds of miles away, I'll drop into your crafting group for a wee chat and some making. Have a wonderful week xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. FELIZ AÑO NUEVO Y BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your daughters join in and help and chat away at craft club, how brilliant. The wrist warmers are excellent, really fun. Your skiing tales on my post made me laugh. We went again today and one or two of the boys in the group were a bit more feral than the ones last time. A lot of falling over, including some falling off of the ski lift. My middle boy accidentally turned it off at one point as well and he's the sensible one. I fear my youngest is more of a Walden. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A late Happy New Year from me too. I like your sweater , but if I have read well you don’t talk about it.
    Have a nice afternoon,
    Miriam ( from Italy)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wrist warmers are a super idea, my hands and wrists get cold when reading or on the laptop too. I sometimes wear fingerless gloves inside and my husband called me Steptoe when he came home one day. It is brilliant that your girls get on so well with people of all ages you have done a good job. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I could join your craft club, sounds like a lot of fun. A talented teacher, judging by the positive wooly goodness.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete