Monday 5 September 2022

Last week of holiday...ing

It is the last week of our school summer break here so it is time to indulge and indeed share the last bits of fun from our holidays. I missed my August...ing blog post because we were busy holiday...ing. So let's run with that shall we!

Relax...ing with a break on the east coast with my aunt and uncle: Long walks, scones, paddling and days out. The perfect relaxing break.


Eating - all the garden has to offer: courgettes, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and peppers. This was one of my favourite meals of summer.


Watching - Meg get to grips with yeast cookery. The rise on these cinnamon bums was amazing and they tasted pretty good too. 


Picking - what is on offer for free. These plums made excellent jam as well as puddings and fruit snacks but they never taste as good as when they are cooked.




Treating - ourselves to an art session at ArtShack. Heidi did some gel plate printing to put in her GCSE art portfolio; Meg did some lino printing and I went on a busman's holiday! My normal job is spent in front of a sewing machine then I chose to start some machine embroidery on my day out. It is a work in progress which will be worked further with hand stitching when my tennis elbow is better.


Baking - scones to eat with my heavy raspberry crop.


Refusing - to tidy this part of my girls bedroom. It is above my paid grade! I gave their rooms a good muck out generally and we sorted all of their clothes passing on the small ones to a friend.


Winning - Our local show. I was show champion (again!) It was tricky to get the perfect veg but I really enjoyed the flower arranging.


Rolling - over our Folk festival ticket from last year which we had to postpone because Heidi had covid. It was great weather and we enjoyed some live music, dancing and street food.


Filling - my table vase with yellow and orange this week. We have dahlias, sunflowers, alstroemeria and fennel.


Sewing - up a collared tunic. I wasn't sure when I started but I really like the feel of the soft draping fabric with the length of the over-sized shirt. It is called the Melody Tunic from StyleArc patterns.


Celebrating - that the big girl in our house is 15 and is as tall as me! We went to our local agricultural show at Burwarton then she had a sleepover in the field cabin with two of her friends. She is entering her last year of school so things will change a lot for her over the next 12 months. 



Leaving - you as always with the view. This one is through the other kitchen window where the sunset has gradually started to drift towards as the nights draw in. 


Happy Summer! Jo xxx




7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, I hope it was a lovely day for her. A big year ahead indeed. I am in manic uni-preparation phase for my eldest here which is a bit bewildering. A lot of it involves me saying, 'No, you absolutely will not need [giant speaker, bodyweight scales, filing cabinet, one hundred pound pairs of jeans etc. etc.]. The art session sounds brilliant, I'd love to do something like that with my youngest. Or indeed on my own :) Your flowers are fabulous, well done on all the show winning. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disfruta mucho de tus preciosas flores. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a colorful post! I love it. Great tunic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly Jo, it's Bev from Meandmysmallcorner here. Blogger is having a problem calling me 'Anon' today!!
    What a scrumptious harvest you have had this year, fruit, vegetables and flowers. Congratulations on your show win too. Birthday wishes to your daughter and lots of luck for the coming year. Glad that you were able to have a crafting treat together. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab blog. The dahlias are such vibrant colours. Those raspberry tarts look delicious. I’ll bet some of those walks were very long, but the beach is quite distracting.

    ReplyDelete