Friday 20 May 2022

Something a bit Special

Have you ever had the generation gap feeling? I remember a few choice moments. In a local China Museum I asked why my then six year old had not flushed the toilet and she said there wasn't a flush - I walked into the cubicle and pulled the chain. He jaw dropped and I realised she had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I also remember her asking me when she was seven what the black thing was in the dining room. It was my grandparents old bakelite telephone and I had to show her how to use it. Why such ramblings?...


Because we have been invited to a black tie 21st Birthday party. Not as the crowd that will be dancing on the tables, camping in the field and throwing up in the porta loos but the parent generation of the birthday boy. I know I am the last in my friendship group to have children but jeez when did that happen?


Anyway, I got my sew on and made myself a special dress. I have never sewn with guipure lace before and I can safely say it requires a lot of tacking/basting. The background fabric and the lace need to be tacked together so that each panel works as a single piece of fabric. I used the lace on its own on the sleeve to take advantage of the border edge.


I chose a crepe as the skirt and decided I would think about whether to put my 1950's petticoat underneath at the end. I did, and it gives it a nice shape.


What present do you get for a young man who you don't really know very well? You sew something of course. I made Ben a cummerbund, bow tie and hankie for his future black tie events and parties. I am really pleased with the duchess satin and the vibrant colour. His mum, my great friend from my Young Farmer Club days, said he would love it. 




 
I found an areosol spray in the shed, sprayed a box from The Works then added his name. It has turned out to be a kind of men's jewellery box for ties, cuff links and suchlike as well as the perfect wrapping.


Tonight's the night. Party on!


10 comments:

  1. That looks gorgeous on you Jo and what a fabulous gift, it is really special. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely lovely, both the dress and the present. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous dress!!! (I think 3 exclamation marks are perfectly acceptable here). We've never had a 21 birthday party for Sam, I now feel we should have. His train to Glasgow was cancelled and we didn't even get to see him on his big day. The bow tie and cummerbund are a great idea, just the kind of thing that a young man would not want to buy but will need at some point. I love that shade of green, like the around Sicily. Have a good weekend partying xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your dress looks fantastic on you Jo. The gift you made looks amazing, I love the colour a lot. Enjoy our weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made a good job , with the dress and with the handmade gift too.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous dress, and yes to the petticoat, I absolutely love that shape in a skirt. An inspired gift for the birthday boy as well. My eldest is 18 now and doing A levels, so I know what you mean about the shock of it all. In a few short months, he will be GONE. Have a wonderful time at the party. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precioso vestido y el conjunto del caballero es muy elegante. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely dress and how lovely you are! Present is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress is stunning Jo and the colour is perfect. Hope you enjoyed partying the night away.
    The gift was a really good idea and one I am sure will be greatly valued by your friends son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We should all be so blessed with at least one friend like you. Ben is a fortunate birthday dude. :) Rock on, girl.

    ReplyDelete