Monday 7 March 2022

The Completion of Avena

My Avena sweater by Jennifer Steingass is complete. It has been a trial but as one of my new years resolutions was not to knowingly knit anything that I knew to be wrong; I had some unpicking to do.


I did not jeapordise my project by having a dangerously low amount of yarn which I normally do to myself. The trials of this project were that I had chosen the wrong yarn. More specifically, a poor yarn combination. I knit the whole yoke and always knew that the colourwork was sinking into the brown wool because really it was too thin. 



I took he whole lot out and started again.


The second yarn choice was a combination of Drops Nepal and King Cole Bramble in the colourway goldenberry. The bramble held its own with the Drops Nepal DK and the project was back on.


I love the way the variegated yarn creates an ombre through the yoke design and really recommend this as a way to create colour without juggling lots of different coloured balls (cheaper too).



It finishes at the high hip point as this is how I like to wear my sweaters. It was fine on me but I would say if you are small chested or small in the shoulders the yoke might be too deep for you.


I have a sore arm at the moment so knitting is out of bounds but there is always lots of other things to make. I tripped over a step in the garden and fell like a sack of spuds onto my right shoulder. Ouch!  Check out some other patterns from Jennifer Steingass, they are awesome. My mum has made a lovely Aurealis in grey stylecraft DK and a glitter yarn called Cabaret. Until next time... Thanks for dropping in. Jo x 

13 comments:

  1. This looks great and well worth the effort and hassle of changing to a different yarn. Hope the shoulder improves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look pleased and the colours are gorgeous. You wouldn't have liked it if you hadn't started again. Probably wouldn't have worn it. I see many admiring looks for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was well worth all the hassle to start again with the variegated yarn. It is stunning and looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo, that is a fabulous sweater and I love the colours together, you are such an accomplished knitter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever you, such a fab jumper, I love it. And major ouch re your shoulder, hope is mends soon.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it's just brilliant, you've made an absolutely beautiful job of it. And I love the way the pattern is swirled around you. The coloured yarn works really well too. I know what you mean about a thinner yarn sinking in, it drives me nuts when that happens. I had a look at Jennifer Steingass's patterns, they're lovely. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW,I really Love this so beautiful,and well done you for keeping at it.So sorry about your arm.I have had a painful shoulder for ages,after thinking I was taller and reaching for something high up.Ripped inside tendons and stuff so I have a feeling of how painful your arm is.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore your Avena sweater, Jo! Such a gorgeous design and the colors are perfect. Love it. Hope your arm is better soon.
    Amaia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweater and the yoke detail are lovely and well worth all the effort to get it right.
    Ouch your poor shoulder, hope it will be better again quickly.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This finished up beautifully, work the unpicking in the end. Hope you recover quickly and are back on the needles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnifique pull ! Original,bravo !
    Prompt rétablissement 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  12. L'inconnue du message de 9h53....regarde beaucoup votre site,et l'aime beaucoup⚘

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sweater is beautiful! When you were finished with the yoke, did you do your German short rows on just one side of the starter marker or both sides?

    ReplyDelete