Monday 3 January 2022

Happy New Year! I like to make three crafting resolutions each year to keep my hobby interesting and challenging. Last year I decided to:


1) Learn to use the ruffler foot for my sewing machine... and do you know what? I still didn't use it so I guess in a whole year of sewing clothes for all of us, I just don't need it. I think maybe I have had it for so long that now my girls are in their teens, I have possibly missed that gathered-pretty-phase of their clothing choices. I can put this one to bed I reckon and never speak of such a thing again.
No regrets.

2)Make a dent in my fabric scraps especially the thin strips... this is actually going very well in the background although not to completion. I have made a strip quilt topper but it is a shade off a single bed size and now that I like the concept of it so much I want to make it into a double bed topper to store as a future wedding present. 



3)To sew a raincoat... Total success here, I made three. One for me, my mum and my youngest. It is the Eden raincoat by Tilly and the Buttons and Meg's was from a vintage pattern.




For 2022, I would like to improve some of my making.

1) To work with different fabrics. I have never used silk before because I am frightened of cutting it out so I would like to overcome this fear and of course have something beautiful to wear.

2) To stop knitting on when I know that something has gone wrong. I am an absolute sucker for it. Fudging each row until it gets right never happens but then I am always a little disappointed when I know there is a mistake. I am going to become a frogger starting with this yoked sweater. The black dots are all the mistakes. The one massive mistake is that the coloured yarn is too thin against the brown so I started making mistakes and not loving it enough to unpick them. 


3)To Crochet a chunky throw that has straight sides. I have been gifted some lovely yarn and I would like to use it well and keep my stitch count correct for each row. Sometimes I do slapdash crochet too!



Generally this year my sewing has improved in quality massively because I have been recording my makes for Minerva for freelance media content which will be released later this year. There is nothing better than videoing yourself sewing for others to learn from for making you sew properly! It has been my dream job and I am so looking forward to sewing more. 


Has it made you think of something you would like to finish, start or improve?

Happy New Year! Jo xxxx

4 comments:

  1. The raincoats are absolutely brilliant. I have been looking at the quilt on my youngest's bed and thinking how much I like it and how I'd like to make another one. Then completely obsessing about the right colours, the right pattern etc. etc. etc. Yesterday I decided to just order some fabric and start sewing. I think it will be a sort of throw for my new steamer chair, which has a very impractical cream cushion. I am going with green, yellow and grey squares. Hope you and yours have a very happy New Year and that all your makes are triumphs. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me han gustado tus trabajos, incluso con los errores..... y está muy bien hacer buenos propósitos para el nuevo año, precisamente hoy llevo todo el día meditando sobre el tema de la costura y tejer. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2021 was another amazing creative year for you Jo. Love those raincoats, they make the rainy weather so much more fun. I have never explored the weird and wonderful sewing machine feet in my accessory box, maybe I should? I use the normal foot mostly, followed by the quarter inch quilting foot and the zipper foot. Another useful one is the walking foot. I tried out the button sewing foot but in the end, I couldn't be bothered practicing and sewed on the buttons by hand. Your quilt top is going to be great. I love scrappy quilts and have plans for a new one. I have been cutting scraps into 5 cm squares whenever I remembered it.

    For your new goals, go for it with the silk. For my Christmas I received a pair of micro serrated scissors, they are amazing for slippery light weight fabrics and I am sure would work well for silk, too. Mistakes happen easily with stranded knitting. I don't have the concentration for it just now but I have been known to tick off stitches on the pattern layout....

    I have no major plans, just carry on as always!

    Can't wait to see your tutorials. Will you be able to share them here, too?

    Happy New Year to you and your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year Jo. You are just an expert crafter I reckon! I have worked on so many patterns recently and as a self taught, self drafter this has been a real eye opener for me. There are times when I grapple with 'but my way is easier!' and having to do it in order for the video. Still love to sew and rather do it than anything else so looking forward to reading your blog, sharing mine and lots of lovely new makes. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete