Monday 13 December 2021

It's All About the Scraps

It has been such a finishing kind of week. You get those sometimes, where knuckling down and getting things to the very end seems woeful in your mind but then it doesn't really take very long.


I think I have falsely shown you this as a finish in the past but really I knew after 'finishing' it that the large grey border swallowed up the patchwork centre and needed more work. I started to machine stitch it but it just made a huge pucker at the end of each row. This is when I might have shoved it in a bin bag for a day when I felt more motivated/less sweary.


I got it out again earlier this year and began hand quilting it. I really made some progress and then, as any hand quilter will know, I got a touch of RSI in my hands. Away it went, for a second time, back in the black bin bag.


Things started to get a bit more crucial of late because this quilt is for my friend's son on his 18th birthday which is a week away! Out is came for the third time however, to my surprise, it took me one more evening of stitching to finish it. The back features some of his old shirts which he doesn't know his mum gave me for the quilt. It will either feel like a big surprise or that I have been stalking him by stealing shirts off the washing line! All wrapped up and ready to go now.


Finishing something arduous always makes me believe I can do anything. On Saturday afternoon the girls had a friend to play so I had couple of hours thinking about how to join these scrappy strips together which the girls and I made in January 2021 school lockdown. 


I hope some of the followers here can spot some of their gifted fabrics. These are the long strips which I collect from sewing;anything rectangular gets sorted into the 'strips' box. At the end of the afternoon I had sewn the ready-made long strips together and assessed that I need about four more to make a single quilt. A long way off yet but a very satisfying afternoon of enjoying the quilting process rather than the eventual outcome.




Another scrappy Ski hat (Free pattern) flew off the needles this week. One more for the present box. Making the pom pom even used up the last of some balls completely without a scrap of waste.


Finally, for myself, I have completed a crocheted sock yarn shawl. The pattern is on my sidebar if you have scraps of sock yarn or 4 ply to use up but it would work for any yarn. It has been a year long project (from last Christmas I think) to use up all of the sock yarn ball ends. Between larger projects, I would add a row here and there to use the yarn up to the very end. Recently, I have added some of the 4ply wool from Heidi's fair isle jumper and leftovers of leftovers from the socks. It is finished with some bought pom pom trim. Well why not?

Honestly, I think I love creating with the leftovers more than the initial product choice! Are you making for Christmas?

Jo xxxx

8 comments:

  1. know what you mean. Its like getting a garment free.Also very satisfying
    .I finished an embroiderie project ( kit) yesterday, that I'd been doing off and on for 2yrs.Pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic quilt and I can't tell you much I love your sock yarn shawl, it's beautiful. I have a whole box of odd balls of yarn and I really must do something with them. In fact I believe I may have a small knitted blanket on the go now I think about it... Must investigate. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say they were 'scrappy' projects and just talk at great length about the creative process in picking all the colours! Anyway, the result is the same, lovely finished items.

    The quilt looks great and worth the extra work, what a wonderful 18th birthday gift - one to use and treasure. Love your shawlette and the pom pom trim is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shawl with its rainbow of colours and white pom poms. You wear it well.
    It is very satisfying to finally get the upper hand on a project and know it hasn't defeated you. Well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I love the ski hat but I couldn’t make the pattern link work, please could you send it to me or post it again? Thanks so much, Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, these are all lovely. So original. In the New Year, I am planning to start a crochet ripple blanket using Attic 24’s pattern to use up all my yarn leftovers. Fingers crossed! I will probably end up having to buy more to finish it ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got one of your sock yarn shawls, loving it! The quilt is just a pure beauty, I love those colours and the grey border with the hand stitching looks fab, too. I remember this quilt top from a while back, didn't we have a similar finish back then? My memory is not as it was. I spotted a bright orange piece of fabric of mine in your newer quilt top. I made a little girls dress from this a long time ago. So nice to see it in a project of yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely makes, I have just finished a gift today and I will have to remember to post about it after Christmas. You know how it gets you can't show things and then you forget. The quilt is gorgeous and I love your little scarf/shawl I love anything filled with colour and that is why most of my clothes don't match! x

    ReplyDelete