Friday 1 October 2021

Sewing for Us

I have been sewing up a few items for Autumn. I love wearing cord in Autumn and Winter. Dianne from Sew, Create and Recycle sent me some patterns for a fabric exchange and one particularly caught my eye when I opened the parcel but I put it away ready for Autumn. Now, here it is: the Anneka Tunic by Simple Sew.





I lined it because I think cord is more comfortable when it is not fighting against your leggings or tights as winter wear. It has deep patch pockets and room round the waist for stew and dumplings with apple crumble for pudding! I love wearing this new pinafore; it has a swedish kind of vibe.



I also made a pair of winter cords because, lets be honest here, I can't get in many of my winter trousers from last year! I have had it with this burda pattern now. I used it to learn to make jeans about seven years ago and have made three pairs from it in total but the zip fly instructions are rubbish and I always have to adjust the back yoke so it is time for a new one next time I need jeans style trews.


Another pattern from a magazine cover was The Fiona Set by Sewgirl from Simply Sewing magazine. Maybe Dianne sent me this one too, I am not sure. I cut a size 8 in this so that my big girl would have something to wear if we have a meal out. She has been having something of a clothes dilemma of late because she is so leggy and slim however, adult clothes are too big in the waist,bust and shoulders and the oldest children's clothes are too short in the arms and legs and covered in unicorns!


She has had her hair cut in an older style which has literally been a weight off her shoulders. She likes her dress, it is still a touch big at size 8 so maybe she can save this one in her wardrobe for next year. I thought she might be tired of me making her things by now but she has seen the potential in me making things that she can choose an age appropriate fabric design for.


I sew for Minerva making videos and sampling fabrics, so I probably sew every other day which at first I found hard to deal with from a green point of view. I was making so much stuff that I didn't even need which made me uneasy but now I have found my rhythmn and my family or friends are delighted with the 'by-products'. This teddy bear gillet and hat went to my friend's daughter - hasn't she got just the cutest smile ever? 


Another set went to my dancing friend who is soon to become a grandma to a baby boy. 


Finally, I made a top for myself. I like the puff sleeve craze at the moment but I don't suit the extra width at the shoulders with my short body therefore I plumped for the Assembly line Cuff top paired with challis fabric with plenty of drape. Puff sleeves without feeling silly! Dress, trousers and top: autumn sewing complete.


I like sewing for us.

Jo xxxxx


13 comments:

  1. You're a star! Love all of your makes.Like the cord pinafore dress. Big girl is looking lovely with her new haircut and that little cutie in hat and gilet, aaah. I like the styled sleeves too. Love to see what you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last top, I am in love with it! You have been working your sewing machine hard, so many nice garments. I like a tunic or two, they hide my big gut rather nicely. I made the shorts version of the Megan Nielsen Dawn jeans. The cut looks quite similar to your Burda cords, you might like it. The instructions are good, even I managed. I made a button fly though, not the zip (both options in the pattern). I am going to google this fabulous geometric fabric now! Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is by dashwoodstudio. I guess you know where it is from!

      Delete
  3. fabulous sewing - sewing it what keeps me going in lockdown! I have made 2 of the Assembly Cuff shirts and now need the cuff Dress pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I could hack the pattern into a dress. The pattern is expensive and noticed a very similar one in peppermint magazine online for a donation.

      Delete
  4. Great sewing, as ever, Jo. I love the tunic, so have just ordered the pattern. You can't beat a tunic with leggings or tights and boots for autumn and winter!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your makes they all look cosy and ready for the cool weather, glad you got to use the pattern you did a great job. I don't recognise the second pattern. I have been video making today and while I don't do as many as you I know what you ean about the guilt, I often refashion fabrics outside of my Minerva makes and try to save fabric buying as a treat. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am mindful now that I cut a size for somone I know and not always for myself. My teacher friend loves a handmade and she is very tall so I always have someone to donate to. X

      Delete
  6. Lovely work Jo. I really like the tunic. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many fabulous items of clothing have been flying off your machine Jo. They are all lovely. I especially like the pinafore with pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All look wonderful on you, Jo, I like the fabrics and colors. I'm still wearing a short sleeved t-shirt, quite hot around here.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous makes and such a great choice of colours. Well done.

    ReplyDelete