Saturday 26 September 2020

Knitting Waterlands

Long story but I am sure some knitters tuning in have been there. I bought some ridiculously expensive wool to make a specific short sleeved sweater for Autumn. I started the damn thing three times, my mum started it for me as well and I just couldn't get the pattern going. Meh!


I hid £50 of wool in the yarn basket for a while but it was still on my mind - so many pennies! During lockdown earlier in the year seemed a good time to face up to it and take my time to choose something lovely to knit while I had some extra time.


The Waterlands pattern from Pom Pom magazine issue No 31 had always looked very wearable to me apart from the three quarter length sleeves. The pattern was not for 4ply (which mine was) but I thought I would give it a go and sort of make it up as I went along; a dangerous thing to do with such luxury yarn. 


The risk was minimised however by the fact that you can try on this style sweater as you go along because it is knit from the top down. I can report that I tried this on soooooo many times while I made it. There wasn't really the option to knit a complicated sweater in expensive yarn that didn't even fit - that wasn't the outcome I was looking for.


I paired the Adrifil alpaca with some 4ply drops flora and some raspberry wine 4ply I used to make this. It was a good combination for the colour and stitch work, for this sweater required both things to be happening at the same time on the yoke. I loved knitting it at this stage.



I added extra increase rows to allow for thinner yarn and then did some major increasing towards the end which gives it a gathered effect. I tried it on and was happy with the chest size and arm openings. There are some short rows worked at the back to stop the neck sagging too much. This also gives the added bonus of knowing the front from the back!

Back View

Knitting endless grey in the round with 4py was a bit of a schlep but watching TV at the same time helped. By now I was well and truly off piste and out there on my own in the knitting galaxy.


I made a decision to make a really deep ribbed hem to ensure that it sat well over my hips, it wouldn't curl up, and it matched a sleeve plan I had hatching in my head.

So the sleeves - I din't use the pattern at all. I decided on 3x rib sleeves because I missed out on doing them on this sweater and liked the slim silhouette they gave a baggy sweater shape.


Oh my! Ribbing sleeves is quite a commitment. Again, I had to follow my instincts and knit try on, knit try on... I wrote down every row in my note book so that I could make sleeve number two. It turns out I love them so much I would do them again on another sweater even though they took some time.


I am absolutely in love with my new sweater, it is one of the best things I have ever made. The yarn is so soft and light but cosy and warm. Oh and in case you are wondering, I had to buy four more balls of grey, making a total of nine!

I think sometimes you have to see knitting as a hobby of time not as a really expensive jumper. I have been enjoying knitting this since April which is pretty good value I think especially as we haven't been able to go anywhere else for entertainment.

Thanks for dropping in. Jo xxxxxxx
 

7 comments:

  1. This is so amazing, I love your jumper. What a coincidence, both of us posting about our soft fluffy jumpers. Just in time for the colder days, eh? I am so glad you finally found a perfect match for your special yarn. I was wondering how your mum got on with the pattern that you found difficult to make friends with. We deserve a little luxury every now and then, don't we? Have a good weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic, and I love the sleeves. 4 ply gives such a lovely finish, and I really like the slightly gathered shape. I am trying to pluck up the courage to knit something wearable other than endless scarves. I gave up ages ago when nothing I ever knitted fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. It reminds me of when my gran was alive and knitted everything for me. She never stuck to a pattern completely and always made everything to fit to my measurements exactly. I see everything I do as a hobby for enjoyment and try not to think about the cost too much, sometimes costs can be eye watering especially when making a quilt. Enjoy your lovely jumper, we are just getting into jumper weather so you will get lots of use. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i adore it! I have just ordered some expensive yarn from England to make a lovenote jersey. Tried to find local, but failed in what I wanted! But then decided that England needs all the help it can get...! Who knows what century it might arrive down under!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely sweater Jo, it looks warm and cosy and just perfect for the coming season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's stunning. Your last paragraph - yes. I realised that crocheting my own clothes is rarely cheaper, but just looking at the cost takes away all the joy from the process of creating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when you share your process of making. Your sweater is a triumph in my estimation, and I hope you get much joy wearing it!xx

    ReplyDelete