Tuesday 25 August 2020

Food First

We are living internet free at the moment. It means that all we think about is food for some reason, what else can we do? I have popped back to our old house to do some cleaning and take full advantage of the internet connection we have in the house we no longer live in!


The fruit and vegetables are still forthcoming from the neighbour's gardens I have been caring for, this week we plundered plums. In all  honesty, I could have done without them during a house moving week but the girls begged me to stop them falling off the trees to the ground.


My big girl learnt how to make jam.


Selecting new places to put kitchen utensils, bowls and tins has been very enjoyable. Megan has set herself up a rather efficient baking zone with the mixer, cookbook stand and useful items in the drawers below.


Today she made white chocolate and cranberry biscuits.



We have been eating mostly homegrown veg over the last month or so; the courgettes are of course overwhelming. It was time for my favourite cake recipe...


Nigella Lawson's courgette cake with lemon curd. It is from her book 'The Domestic Goddess' if you have it or follow the link. She uses pistachio nuts to decorate it but I used toasted flaked almonds. 


I am looking forward to giving you a new house up date soon when the engineer has been and connected our internet. So for now, this is a slightly one sided post because I can not hop over to your blogs for a read but I will do very soon.

Happy Eating. Jo xxxx

10 comments:

  1. Happy new house 😊
    We are on the market, can't wait to move but dreading the work and chaos of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is becoming a real star in the kitchen, so lovely to see what she makes. Courgette cake is also now becoming a regular favourite in our household, only my son to convince of that fact now. Enjoy settling in to your new home xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks yum. Good on Megan with her baking corner, always great to see them making their own decisions. Looking forward to hearing more about the new set-up! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I've been away from this space....and you've moved!!!! How exciting! I love starting over in a new house - all that decorating and decision making about where to put this or that, so much fun! Looking forward to having a peek soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I must try the recipe. I love a good cake and we always have cake at book group so need a new recipe for next week. My book group has been running for nearly 14 years now and we always have a different cake (I rarely repeat my recipes for them). x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too must give that recipe a go. Thrilled that you have finally moved into your new house and that you are making it home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering how the move went, was thinking of you. I am glad the move is behind you now and you can settle in your new forever home. I would love to try this courgette cake recipe... but I just used the last of our courgettes for a vegetable green Thai curry. It will be a week before there are more. Have a wonderful time in your new home xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for you, Jo, especially after all your hard work. Looking forward to seeing more photos as you settle in. Must be inconvenient to be without internet, and quite liberating at the same time.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are in and settled, I hope the internet is up and running smoothly for you soon. I have to say your cake has made me drool, I am thinking of ways to adapt it without the egg and cream cheese to make it vegan. The little baking station is looking fab too. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I put a bit of ginger in my cranberry and chocolate cookies, they are delicious. Take care and enjoy your beautiful new home.

    ReplyDelete