Friday 7 August 2020

August...ing

Making - fleecy PJ's for my girl even though it is August.


Selling - our house! Only showed round one person with it on the market for five weeks. We will be moving to our smallholding very soon.

De cluttering - every cupboard and drawer in the house. The dross, honestly. This is the contents of the pine kitchen dresser drawers.


Building - our carpets are now fitted at the new house. I laid all the underlay and gripper rods myself. The guy said I put a lot of carpet fitters to shame!

Admiring - this local garden. I walk past it every day with the dog and get to peep over the wall. It gets better and better: phlox, hollyhocks, verbascum, mallows and yarrow.


Watering - two neighbours gardens while they are away with permission to pick what we can eat.




Making - beetroot chutney with the above: beetroot, apples and onions.


Eating - down the freezers so we can move them whilst still continuously filling them with courgette soup!

Revamping - my grans Victorian cabinet with Orla Keily gift wrap and PVA glue.


Knitting - the boring grey bit of my alpaca sweater but it is so soft to handle. I probably manage about two rows a night of mindless but comforting knitting. There are always socks when the mood takes me.



Saving - a beautiful quality M&S T-shirt with a vintage doily I bought in France 4 years ago. I got a huge grease stain right in the middle of my top but I've covered it with this little beauty.


Celebrating - having a teenager in the house with this awesome red velvet cake made by her sister. It was a faff but totally worth it even with the ermine icing. She coloured it with beetroot powder and added freeze dried raspberries as a topping with rose petals and fresh raspberries in the layers. Just divine!

Feeling - a little bit overwhelmed.

Thanks for dropping by. Enjoy the sunshine. Jo xxx

14 comments:

  1. I am the same when it comes to decluttering. Where does it all come from? Maybe a naughty little fairy comes in at night and just leaves her stuff everywhere, surely it isn't me not putting things away properly ha ha. Beetroot chutney looks great, I made beetroot pickle with mine. It turned out great. Happy teenage birthday, so sweet that her sister made her cake which looks fantastic. Good luck with the selling, hopefully it will happen soon. Have a great sunny weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your new teenager, the cake looks amazing. Well done on that underlay, I am duly impressed. Hope the move goes well - you must be so excited. I am excited on your behalf as well, it is such a HUGE achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love decluttering, if only my family fled the same way. I know we would have a much tidier house and more space if they (for this read my husband in particular) would just let stuff go. My husband has books he has never read the whole time we have been married, 24 years, clearly if you haven't read anything in all that time then they are just clutter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely reading your news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday wishes to the new teenager. Hope all goes well with the move. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Miss 13! What a cake, it looks divine. Good luck with the house move, such a stressful life event but it will be amazing to live on your smallholding. I am glad I am not the only one with a drawer of doom (as I call my version of your kitchen drawer). There has to be a space for all those useful and potentially useful bits and bobs. Enjoy the summery weather xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your teenager, that is a big milestone. Good luck with the house sale. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! What a landmark month. Little sis has done a fab job with that cake, it looks amazing (my cakes taste good but nobody would ever say they look good!). Leaving your home is bound to be stressful and a bit sad but what lovely memories it has given you, and what adventures you have to come. (I seem to have written a lot of whats. Sorry.) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you are almost there, you will soon be in your new home how exciting! You have been very busy, wish your girl a happy birthday from me and I love the paper in the cabinet as some wrapping paper is just too good to put around a package isn't it. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the midst of so much transition work in your life thanks for your ing post to let us share in the latest happenings, Jo. Happy Birthday to big sis and well done to little sis for the gorgeous cake she made to celebrate. The garden nearby is soooo pretty and how great you are getting some produce given to you. A friend gifted me with blueberries and squash from her garden and somehow they taste better to me than what I buy at the store :) Your stitching and report of your excellent carpet laying inspire me toward creative projects of my own. Blessings as you and yours sell your house and move to your new home. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The contents of your pine dresser drawer look exactly like the contents of my dresser drawers! Good luck with your move, moving to a small-holding sounds so exciting!
    Jen (Lavender & Rose blog: https://lavenderandroseblog.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jo, the sweater knitting looks like a progressing project that should be worked upon. Loved the photographs by the way, you have a knack of composing pictures! I have been writing aboutPainting and Handicrafts and the tricks that I learnt from a hobby that I pursue. It is fun to write about my tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The jumper you’re knitting looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete