I made a scrappy border of different sizes rectangles which follow a line of colour tones to make the bed size. The backing is a red single bed sheet and is hand quilted by stitching every other diamond, along with two rows of straight hand stitches around the border.
Finally, all that needed finishing last week was for it to be edged with 30mm bias binding which I machine sewed to attach the top and then hand sewed to turn it over on the back. It has been finished to the binding point for months now but has only taken me 5 months in total. It is for my friends daughter to take to university and I sewed every stitch of it with love for her.
Red Cotton bed sheet 7.99
Dream Green queen wadding 17.50 (enough for another one)
2 packs of solid fat quarters 14.00 (4 left)
30mm Bias binding 10mm 9.00 (4m left)
Custom cut paper pieces 18.00 (50 unused left)
Making a quilt isn't cheap even if you do use scraps but it will be her 18th Birthday in June and this is supposed to signify the end of present giving from me to her in a final flurry of goodness.
The biggest error I made was to cut the fabric pieces out first using a clover plastic template that someone gave me and then found I could not get paper pieces to fit so that is how I came upon Lina Patchwork and her custom cut papers. I still have enough wadding and papers to make another one so I can still spread the cost.