Wednesday 2 October 2019

Scrappin'


I have been plodding on with my postage stamp quilt. Not plodding because I don't like doing it, but because I have a long deadline on this one - a couple of years - so there is no rush. 


It is hard to work out how much fabric will be needed but you just have to be brave and keep sewing. Making it over a long period actually helps. Friends chip in with a sandwich bag of bits every now and again and there always seems to be another pattern to incorporate. The key is not great quantities of material but a humongous range of colours and patterns. Each block has 64 squares where there are only a few repeats in each block. I have five more  blocks to go (I think) and I needed to cut out more fabrics. I did hold some pieces back from my original cutting session at the beginning to ensure there was a spread of fabrics throughout.
I alss saw this little pack the other day on a craft stall which was ideal fodder.


The thing is, I only want small pieces, the crumbs if you will. I don't want to just cut out lots of teeny squares from a large piece. This led to one huge cutting out session to force out little bits from my stash. In my head, I now have five quilt designs!


The tin holds the postage squares. The next pile is fabric I would like to save for future variations all with a very floral traditional theme. The pile with the green roll on top are larger pieces which would be too wasteful to cut into yet until I have a plan for them.They are also big enough for pocket facings or make up bag linings. There is a pile of solid colours, more than I thought actually, for a half square triangle rainbow quilt.


This one is a little stack 9x9cm squares. Whatever was left over from each piece made more tiny squares until it was all gone.


Finally, I ended up with a pile of strips for a crazy quilt. This is a couple of years worth of quilting but now they are all in separate boxes I can keep adding to them as the off cuts keep coming.

Five more blocks to go, exciting stuff. Jo xxxx

3 comments:

  1. What a good idea, 2 years worth of quilting ready to go. I am so not organised! I am so happy to see some of my fabrics on your piles an in your postage stamp blocks. It is going to be so amazing, the colours and patterns are just beautiful. Five blocks will come together quickly, if you want to. Nice though not to have any pressure to finish in a hurry. I am quilting Sam's moving out quilt at the moment, it is taking forever.... have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is so organised! Definitely the teacher in you sorting that lot ;) I like the idea of having it all ready to go like that so you can just pick up and do a bit. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is going to be wonderful Jo, good luck.

    ReplyDelete