Thursday 24 October 2019

All of the colours


My knitting mojo has left me and wandered off some place else. I have tried five times to start a new sweater and I have just had to put it away for a while before I totally loose the plot and bury the wool and the pattern in the garden. After each knitting failure, I made a few crochet motifs to cheer myself up. The scarf became more enjoyable than the sweater so it came together quickly 24 flowers later.


The pattern is called Summer Palace by Jane Crowfoot. I bought it at wonderwool in Wales in the Spring after seeing a beautiful sample shawl on a mannequin. My friend Chantal said she loved it but she can't crochet. I sneakily bought the pattern while she wasn't looking therefore this scarf is her surprise Christmas present.



This is it before blocking. It looks better after blocking but I have a feeling that I might have a few too many stitches around the edges because I went off pattern for the border.



I did make some changes. I used acrylic DK leftovers instead of 4ply for a 'brights' version to stash bust some leftovers. I made two rows of motifs to get a chunky scarf rather than an ethereal shawl. I think she would get more wear out of this style.



The edges were better after blocking and the 3D flower motifs pulled out some spaces which gave them better definition and allowed for the border to have some room.


Tied as a scarf it is really nice and chunky around the neck.


These tags are new. They were 40p from the Minerva Crafts sale. I just popped them on the end of an order I was making so it seemed a good buy. They are lovely quality and a real finishing touch to a homemade gift.


First of my making presents done ready for December. Whooo!

Thank you for all the dress love you expressed on my last post, it really was appreciated.

Thanks for calling in. Any making plans? Jo xxxx

8 comments:

  1. Maybe I could cast your jumper on? I am glad you haven't buried the wool in the garden. I bet your friend will be dancing with joy when she opens her Christmas surprise. Lovely colours and pattern xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gorgeous! I love the bright colours. Your friend is very lucky. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a real stunner! What a fab colour combination.( making one for yourself ? ) Good to use up some stash as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous gift it will brighten up the cold winter days and I love the tags. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,Jo, this is lovely! Chantal is sure to love it. I wish scarf season would hurry up and get here, we are still in short sleeves.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, bought that pattern and also the Magic Circles blanket at Wonderwool. When I read the patterns I thought they were a little over complicated. Your scarf is beautiful, I might pull the pattern out again. Cn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you have done the first one it makes sense. In the end I could make them from memory. The hardest part is understanding that one row is on top of another roe round the back of the post from the previous round. It is what gives it a 3D effect. Good Luck!

      Delete
  7. I completely understand the missing knitting mojo. I did make a scarf but it was my car project and that doesn't count. I have tried to knit a sweater for a year, yup a year and have not been successful. Love your wrap Jo, it is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete