Monday 2 September 2019

Crochet Jewel Cowl

I have been working on an easy crochet project to use up some cotton yarn: Drops Muskat from a baby blanket and Rowan glace from my crochet top. I had a flick through my crochet books for some inspiration. 





This beautiful cowl was in Granny Squares and Flower Motifs by Nicki Trench. I started to make the grey squares but knew I would run out of grey before the end so I began to incorporate some of the other colours on the second round. I also knew I would have to scale mine down too - I couldn't make 111.

 

They were easy to make, if not a little addictive. There was always time to make at least one every day.




I managed to make 62 before the grey ran out meaning the cowl would consist of 3 rows of 20 squares (the mathematicians among you will have worked out I had two left over!) I left long tails on them for sewing up and weaving in all at the same time. A good early move.





I sewed them into long strips spreading out the colours and then joined the strips along the long edge. I wasn't quite satisfied with the overall look; it definitely needed a border.




One row of double crochet finished it off really well. It is a snug fit which will keep me warm. Luckily, I don't really like cowls that just hang like a long necklace. This will be my new playground duty scarf for my new job at school.


That is not an intended sultry look but the gaze of a woman trying to work out if the cowl would be in the photo frame while pointing it at a mirror!



A great stash buster. I have a bit of yarn left over so it is not all done yet and you know me, I couldn't throw away those two odd squares. Thinking caps on for a complete stash buster...

Thanks for dropping in. Jo xx





10 comments:

  1. Its a beauty Jo! And i love your every look, even the sultry one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cowl Jo, and all the photos, especially the “sultry” look!
    Nice book ..... perhaps you could make the wash cloth from the book with your left over yarn.
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Perhaps you could add some contrasting yarn and incorporate the two remaining squares into a wristwarmer each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cheerful and warm! Btw, I made your Beaded Sedge Stitch cowl ( the one made from that Katia Tupa yarn) and love it - oh, my goodness, it’s so soft! It was great fun adding the beads and buttons as well. I’d never done that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Done! It is a lovely stitch pattern and that yarn is wonderful. Jo xx

      Delete
  5. Nice Jo. I bet that cotton fells lovely against your neck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great on you Jo. Just catching up on your posts as I've been away from blogland for a while.
    Jacquie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for playground duties, the cowl is cheerful and looks very cosy.

    Funny enough I am missing two squares for a tiny pram granny square blanket that also uses up scraps! I do have some yarn, just too lazy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really lovely design and a great cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely colours. That'll be so snug during the cold weather. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete