Tuesday 25 October 2022

October...ing

 October in our house has been a fine mix of indoor and outdoor activity. Foraging, putting the garden to bed, sewing and making of course and general small holding pursuits.


Foraging - these parasol mushrooms for a tasty soup.


Matching - our salad to the weekly vase of flowers. There are carnations I grew from cuttings, scabious, dahlias and a few more choice stems.



Arranging - home grown flowers for Harvest Supper. I do love a bit of flower arranging.



Curating - some of my fabric scraps into ready cut garments. There becomes a stage where there are more scraps than I can mentally deal with. A good old cutting out session matching pieces with like-minded companions, committing to cutting them out and bagging them up ready to sew feels like a big step forward.


Watching - the changing view during October. It is the best time to look out of our kitchen window and appreciate where we live.




Celebrating - My youngest becoming a teenager with a death by chocolate cake decorated in mint aero. It was requested. I delivered. 


Catching - a few rainbows this month. Some of them were absolute screamers.


Collecting - conkers. I don't know why. Meg does it every year. She marvels at the texture and colour and then I find them all mouldy in her room about two months later. That is how it has worked here for 13 years.


Scooping - up tonnes of crab apples. It was a full on family job. We all had aching backs afterwards but they are in the sheep field. Now, sheep can eat the odd apple or two but too many is not good for them and you just can't trust sheep not to gorge themselves on something that is right there under their noses.


Putting - the greenhouse to bed. I picked the last few tomatoes this week and have swept through. The pots, troughs and sinks have all been emptiedI started off two years ago with the three geraniums at the back, took four successful cuttings last year and this year I have taken 24 more. Hopefully these can then go back into the Belfast sinks at the front of the house next summer.


Finishing - off with my two latest Autumn makes. A cosy Paige Hoodie by Chalk and Notch and a refashioned skirt made from a rather unsuccessful dress attempt.


A very brown and orange post today but a reflection of the Autumnal season I feel. Thanks for stopping by. Jo xxx

10 comments:

  1. Love to see the mists in the autumn, (not when driving I hasten to add). Fabulous picturesque views the rainbow is a stunner. Conkers I believe are good at keeping spiders at bay I’ve been told. Whoa that’s a lot of crab apples any point in making crab apple jelly I think it’s an acquired taste. Did you all survive the mushroom soup the death by chocolate cake looks very moreish hope you all enjoyed. Great blog as usual lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonitas prendas y maravillosas fotos y todo ése trabajo con las manzanas y las plantas....... trabajas mucho. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get Meg's conker obsession - my little people are all grown and flown but I still love to collect a bowl of shiny brown conkers to have on my windowsill!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember our son being facinated with conkers and collecting bags full of them. We had a horse chestnut tree at the bottom of one of the gardens we lived at, so he was very happy having his personal supply!! My greenhouse needs a good clearing out before I get my new one next year.
    Great cake, hope you all enjoyed it. Happy teenage years to your youngest girl. How time flies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Anon was me again-Beverley from Meandmysmallcorner ) Blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made a Paige Hoodie! Love it. Meg's conker collecting habits made me smile because that was me until recently. This year I resisted, preferring to admire them outside. It is hard. Your autumn colours are fab and it is lovely to read that all is well in your home. Happy Birthday to your new teenager. Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the skirt pattern and oh my, your view, it never ceases to take my breath away. The birthday cake is in a league of its own, I'm certain it would be very popular here too, so I'm making a mental note. I hope your youngest had a lovely birthday. I cleared my tomatoes last week too. I've got some cuttings from a geranium my late father was growing and you have reminded me to move things into the mini greenhouse. Nice job with the autumn makes, I am rather obsessed with orange at the moment and I love them both. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't help myself but to collect conkers when I see them, they are just so gloriously shiny. Love your hoody and your skirt, just gorgeous!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so many things to admire in one post, Jo! You always get so much done. Love the new outfits and the flowers and, of course, the death by chocolate cake, who wouldn't?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jo oh such lovely photos as always your view is just stunning. Happy belated birthday to the teen. I know what you mean about the scraps, I used to quickly use up any scraps that came my way now I can't keep up! I love your skirt refashion. Have a super week. x

    ReplyDelete