Wednesday 9 October 2019

October...ing

Starting - A new crochet project to bust some more stash while making a gift.



Making - A notice board and a lampshade for Little M's new bedroom.



Baking - A game pie for a birthday treat meal.



Building - The last phase of the inglenook fireplace. This is the TV shelf which I have just waxed. We can choose to stare at the fire, watch TV or ogle the view from the picture window all from the sofa.


Buying - Bathroom tiles for the new house. Plain white; my brain and wallet are fried!

Disliking - Taking the dog to the vets for induced vomiting after he ate 28 ibuprofen. He is fine. I still have back ache. The following week he ate two raw pheasant breasts from the chopping board while I made the pie. Something needs to be done. 


Loving - Autumn sunsets from our middle floor windows.

Knitting - Trying to get my new sweater started but I need my mum. I have cast on four, make that five, six times! GRRRRR


Going - To the park then to Bella Italia for Megan's 10th birthday.

Wearing - Boots and tights for the new season.

Sewing - The last three blocks of my postage stamp quilt.



Cutting - New pieces for a New House quilted bed runner.

Avoiding - Doing stuff for other people who can do it perfectly well for themselves.

Deciding - On some fun things to start making for December gifts (you know the C word)

Thinking - I love October, the clear skies, family birthdays and warm casseroles.

Feeling - Hunkered down for Autumn.

Have a Good week. Jo xxx

8 comments:

  1. Its looking good on the home front ! Love that fireplace. Megan looks pleased. I like her lampshade and board . Pie looks delicious. Mmmm , that crust. Oh you have a lot going on.Don't forget to have a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, I wanted to email you, but couldn't find a contact. I saw a picture of your kitchen you posted a while ago, with the sort of skirting board bit of timber sitting at the top of your bench tops, near your cooker. I'm just in the process of installing a new cooker myself and was wondering if you could post a closer up picture of it, as I think it looks fabulous and might try and talk my other half into having something similar. My siliconing skills are absolutely nonexistent, so this might save that being such an issue. And it might also look a bit better where the sink butts up to the wall too. Love your blog, I wish I was as prolific as you with my craftiness. Thanks, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, I could n't email you either! Anyway they are called upstands in the UK. We used them because our work tops are oak and there has to be an expansion gap at the back to enable the wood to expand and shrink. They do however stop the need for silicone which can be a messy business. I have them behind the sink too. You should be able to use them with any worktop. In our current kitchen we have very slim decorative strips of wood which do the same job over our tiles. The ones you mention in the new kitchen are much bigger and the tiles sit on top of the upstands. Good Luck! Jo xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info Jo. I have now fallen down the rabbit hole of upstands! These aren't a standard thing in Australia, so the internet and Pinterest is my friend with this. Thank you so much for getting back to me.

      Delete
  3. While my sister, Margaret visited for over a week here in Oregon, then I went trailer camping at the beach for a week with family, then flew down to Margaret's in California for nearly a week you and yours made great progress on finishing projects at your house! I enjoyed learning more about your wood finishing/painting project. Your finished stitching projects are lovely...Heidi's sweater! Megan's clever outfit!...progress on quilts...yummy looking fruit... pasta making...a new job for you and then your latest dog report...mercy. The day our Lady Dog snatched the roast from our dining table just before we were to sit down with our guests...mercy.... So glad you savor time with your dear girls, your Mum, and hubby, and I hope you enjoy your new job...along with making something every day. Thanks for posting, Jo! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a naughty dog! I am relieved to hear he is ok after overdosing on ibuprofen. Jack tipped our kitchen compost bin from the island on the floor and then had a good rummage.... Dogs! I hope you can get hold of your mum to help you with the cast on. It must be every so tricky if it defeats you. Your makings are as always lovely. I look forward to seeing your new crochet project, love the colours. Christina xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crochet is beautiful, the sweater is going to be gorgeous! And oh my that fireplace is perfect. As for the vet and induced vomiting, I have been there with both of mine. Remember the flashlight battery episode? Enjoy October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 'Avoiding' item xxxxxx hope you are all well xx

    ReplyDelete