Sunday 3 March 2019

Lady Kina Knit

 I have had this pattern in my Ravelry queue for a long time. I couldn't work out if it would look too old on me but I decided that if I made it neat and small it might be something I would wear.



After taking on a huge bag of donated wool I kept back these two colours. I don't know what you would call the one - it is not pink, not even antique pink. It is not brown, it is similar to the colour of raw kidneys, it is an 'offally' good subtle colour. I had five 50g balls. 

Can I be honest and say that I based this whole cardigan on two buttons which I had for my birthday! When paired with the other colour, lets say a slightly mottled dark moorland green, it was a match made in heaven. I had three 50g balls of this one.



They are vintage yarns so there was not a yardage count and it was DK not aran (worsted)as the pattern stated so I was taking a punt all round - as usual! You can tell the yarn is old, it was 59p a ball!


I got lucky with the sizing and it was a wonderful make. It needs a good blocking. Luckily, with the stripes in rows of four, it is easy for me to replicate this pattern again in exactly the same size.



This is it before blocking.



I wanted it to be a solid colour really but it was just too darn risky with the unknown yardage I had. I ended up using about about four balls in total so I could have made it all in the kidney colour. Maybe next time...



A tip for me to remember next time is that I used a 5mm needle to cast off from a 4mm needle to ensure that the bottom edge held its A-line shape and didn't pull in. (this is an evening shot under artificial light)


The pattern is free from ravelry and there are lots of makes to peruse. I particularly liked the classy grey version with 3/4 sleeves made by Christina from My colourful life. It is an easy top down knit with some very long rows across the shoulders but it soon got faster as I started the body section. I liked that the front bands were knit as you go because when I add a button band it always curls.

I made the second size which, as mentioned, was a guess because of the yarn but it turned out to be a great fit. Sorry I don't have any photos of me in it. My weekend farm face is just not willing for the camera today and I am not sure which colour long-sleeved T to wear underneath? 

Happy knitting indeed. Thanks for looking. Have a good week. 
Jo xxxx

10 comments:

  1. A Lady Kina! One of my favourite knits. The colours are lovely. I am not sure if raw kidney shade is quite right :-) How very satisfying to find just the right shades in your donated bag to match those beautiful buttons! Prompted by your post and the mention of my own, I dug it out and I am now wearing it. I don't wear it often enough! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ... loving this design, the colours you used are fabulous, the buttons very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Jo. I made this sweater a few years back in a gold color. I don't wear it much, but frankly I rarely wear what I make but I really loved the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, and your offal comment made me laugh. I like the stripes, and love the idea of being inspired by your lovely buttons. Great to use up old wool in making something so lovely as well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful make. I laughed at your inspiration for colour choices made around buttons, something I would do. Your description of dusky pink also made me smile (offal). A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those colours together and using the buttons as inspiration is a great idea. We have to get our ideas some where. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a million for the pattern link. This is something I might make to use up some Aran that I have had for some time. Buttons are important. I fully understand how you started with yours and then chose the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW,I think this is just Beautiful and I can see you in it.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire your knitting and the story behind your lovely sweater🙂xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely knitting , could you tell me please how many sizes you went up to make it in dk instead of worsted ? Thank you .

    ReplyDelete