Friday 5 January 2018

Making for my Man

This was made before Christmas as a present. 


While working my way through my donated fabric, I felt this super thick satin lining as I thumbed through the diminishing pile in the cupboard. I decided to use it to line a new waistcoat for Andy.


The brown wool and lining was donated stash so I was pretty free and easy on the waste in order to get the pattern matching correct.I invite you to swoon at the lined up and fully balanced pattern...



My new Brother machine has automatic buttonholes which makes every one the same after you have set the first one. Those sorts of tricks turn sewing from looking handmade to bought in an instant. 



On his last waist coat I chickened out on pockets because the wool/tweed was too thick to make the welts but this was a little finer so I went for it. Beautifully lined pockets ensued - for what, I have no idea - what do men put in those tiny pockets?!



It looks really rather dapper.

Thanks for dropping in. 
Have you ever made anything for a man in your life?

11 comments:

  1. Never, unless you count the youngsters. I would like to make a shirt for Richard - one day. Love a waistcoat on a bloke. You made a really cool one for yours. I would imagine dog treats fit in the little pockets, or maybe a handkerchief for the ladies in his life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a splendid waistcoat. Very dapper indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pattern matching! It’s lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be so proud of this,it's brilliant.The only things I'v made for his Nibs,is Scarves and Jumpers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He needs a pocket watch on a chain. That’s what men put in those tiny pockets. Fabulous waistcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant, and I do like the pattern matching. I've made shirts and pjs for the other half. Oh and quite a few socks too. Once made a waistcoat for my boy when he was little, but not for his father - yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am swooning, very impressive. I have never attempted anything for Gerard unless you count the lap blanket I crocheted for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky chap, that is very smart. I once knitted my husband (when he was my boyfriend) a very 80s jumper, he chose it and he did wear it a couple of times. When I had knitting machines I made him a jumper and he swore blind I bought it. I'm too selfish to knit for others now, a part from the odd bobble hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a brilliant make, just look how wonderfully everything lines up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first started to crochet, I made a scarf for my man. It's not quite in the same league as your stunning waistcoat, which looks like an expensive bought one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I have made slippers and scarves and hats for my menfolk, they pale in comparison to the dapper vest you made for Andy. Well done, again, Jo! xx

    ReplyDelete