Monday 28 December 2015

Bah Humbug!

Well, It has been the house of sickness here over Christmas and I am the only one out of the four of us who has escaped which has meant endless hours of crochet with someone, on rotation, lolling around on the sofa next to me since the 23rd December. Today is the first day we have all eaten together at the same time!



Most crochet I come across on blogs is for home decor or accessories: blankets, decorations, face clothes, pot holders, brooches, hats and scarves etc. but I like to make clothes with crochet. Why? because it is just so darn quick.



I have made this cardigan over the last two months between knitting to give the muscles in my arm a rest, I like to alternate to stop myself getting RSI but I have motored on with it over the festive period through boredom.



The pattern is free from Ravelry. It is brilliant for beginners as you can make adjustments to the overlapping front edge. You don't need button holes, just the holes in the crochet and it is worked in one piece from the top down. I did cheat a little in that my friend made one and I tried hers on so I knew it was going to be a good fit and style on me. I was attracted to the asymmetrical button front.



The yarn is Rico cotton in nougat which makes it a sort of Spring garment really but that is fine. Sometimes I need a lighter knit to wear to the office part of my job. The stitch definition is really good with this compact yarn with a slight sheen. The arm length was determined by my yarn stash but they are actually quite useful like that.

So do you like?



I really love it and it is a winner in my wardrobe because it goes with plenty of things. It looks nice on its own too without anything underneath.

Thanks for stopping by. 
Do you crochet garments to wear?
Jo x





13 comments:

  1. Your cardigan looks fab Jo. I have a mental block when it comes to making crochet garments, no doubt the fault of my vicious needle craft teacher back in primary school. I hope you are all on the mend and that you won't succumb to the bug now that everyone else is better. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely and it really suits you. I hope everyone is all better soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to her everyone has been ill. Glad it seems all is on the mend. The cardi looks fab and so do you. Hoping for a good New Year for you all x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great make, I'd love to be able to make something similar one day! It's shocking the amount of illnesses that are around at the moment almost everyone I know has been ill over the last few weeks. Glad everyone is better now x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame all being ill. Do like the cardi pattern, may give it a go.
    Christy
    Lilbitbrit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like it, v much. I am quite excited to get to see a garment made in crochet as you don't see many. I think it's a really nice pattern and I love how it has turned out in that colour. I think you should keep showing us how nice crochet things are to wear. This cardigan really suits you :)

    Sorry that your family has all been poorly, I hope you manage to avoid it. I was ill about 3 weeks before Christmas and feeling fully better with a few days or so to go, so I was lucky. Fortunately my daughter didn't catch it either, and that is a relief as she is only here a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh Jo this is lovely and love the skirt too! Xxx Hope everyone is feeling much better. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it, not just like it! You did a great job and I too like to make clothing, knits as well as those made with crochet. It adds versatility to my wardrobe and it is a lot more fun to make than a hot pad or a pillow. You look fab! I just put the pattern into my library. Thank you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about the sickies, I hope that they are all better soon and that you stay well. I love your cardigan, it is beautiful and looks great on you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like it..very much! I have never crocheted a garment, but would like to do so...maybe a doll dress first :) Four of my five grand girls still have coughing colds :( You and your household have my sympathy. May you and yours and me and mine have a happy, healthy 2016! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it Jo! Glad everyone's feeling better! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, how awful that you were all struck down with illness over Christmas! I hope your family are better now. I love the cardigan. I have a few patterns stashed away for crocheted garments and I keep meaning to give them a go but, as with everything, it's finding the time. x

    ReplyDelete