Monday 12 February 2024

February...ing

Hello friends! I have been a bit slack on blogging of late. Happy to read them but too busy to write one. Let's kick off with some seasonal fayre and a round up of what I have been making.



Filling - the gaps of my fading Autumn wreath with some roses I dried (a birthday gift from January) It gives it a little spring like edge but it is so delicate now that I have to keep it inside to stop the wind blowing it away from the front door.


Digging - the last of my parsnips while the ground is still soft but trying to stay off the soil. The veg patch needs a little while longer yet until I can give it a dig over.


Picking - a few choice hellebores for my table vase. You have to condition them well or they just wilt straight away. I cut an angled stem at the bottom and dipped them in boiling water before standing them in cold water up to the stems for about 3 hours. Then into the vase they went. 


Buying - a new hellebore called Camelot which has beautiful peachy tones. 


Promising - to be a glorious show in the front border. The bulbs are appearing and although it should look at its worst right now, in the depths of February, it looks OK 





Finishing - my toe up socks. I really liked the way these were constructed and the after thought heel was not a compromise on comfort. It felt the same as my other ones but was much easier to do. I am going to try a few more from the booklet.




Feeling - just OK with my new knit. I wanted it to be boxier and more of a swing over top so I sized up but because I made it in 4ply scraps instead of double knit it is a bit fitted for me. I have blocked it and that gave it some more space but I will see if I wear it and if not I will send it to a friend. The pattern is here and I would definitely do it again.



Using - up some of my yarn leftovers with some baby knitting and crochet. A little white sweater and a car seat blanket for my neighbours' daughter.

 


Diving - into my vintage sewing patterns. I haven't made one for a couple of years but have a massive collection. This brocade suit was for a video tutorial for Minerva (its not on there yet) I actually like wearing it as separates but it does make a beautiful suit. 


Having - my favourite chair reupholstered. I bought it 16 years ago for £70 in an antique shop and kept saying I would have it re-done. It was my new years resolution to get the seat repaired and recovered professionally. It is so comfortable to sit on/in but it has one drawback - I can't knit in it! There is some fabric left over so I am thinking about making a deep foam seat pad to lift me up. That way, I am hoping I can move my elbows at knitting height. 



Leaving - you as ever with my kitchen table view. The sunsets have been amazing this week. One every night which changes in minutes. 

Thanks for dropping by. Jo xxxx

15 comments:

  1. It was lovely to catch up with you and your makes.. I have missed you..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the alien parsnips. I'm sure they taste delicious just the same. There are always so many great things to see on your blog. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a big parsnip and thyme scone from Hugh's Veg book. Perfect with soup on Saturdays.

      Delete
  3. Amazing sunsets! Just enjoy sitting at the kitchen table, maybe drinking tea and watching sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adoro tus tejidos, lo haces muy bien y ésa chaqueta de brocado es una preciosidad con su estilo vintage. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely makes! I love that brocade suit! Thank you for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always lovely to catch up with you. I try to blog more often, just random bits and bobs but I am finding it challenging to keep up with everybody else. Some lovely makes! I do like the brocade suit, very fancy. Such a beautiful collar. My favourite kind. Enjoy the rest of your week xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to catch up. Yes, buy a deeper foam cushion , then your elbows will go over the arms of the chair. I have just done that myself. Its much better !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that has made me think it is definitely worth the effort especially from such a fab knitter as you!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful sunset and compliments about your vintage jacket. You are you are good with sewing but above all to choose the right fabric. Very nice your ellebori.
    Ciao,
    Miriam from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that chair and would definitely make a top up cushion. It would be a shame not to knit in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your makes Jo! You are right about your front border, it looks great even without any flowers. I love your sunset views, thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jo, I hope you are well. That chair looks amazing I just love the fabric you have chosen. Still going with the vase flowers as well I don't know how you keep it up. I bought some reduced tulips last week but unfortunately they only lasted a few days. I refuse to pay full price at the moment for them as even then they don't always last but the last bunch I got reduced from Tesco made it for two whole weeks I was so pleased. The front bed does look very neat and lush even in February. Have a great evening. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip re the hellebores, and some lovely makes. The chair fabric is divine, they've made a beautiful job of it. No-one would be allowed to sit on something so lovely around here :) Amazing sunsets here too, and as ever I am blown away by your fabulous view. A bit of gardening here, with new raspberry canes and new raised beds and new soil as soon there is a dry spell, then hopefully some asparagus. Also new yarn coming! All making me very happy :) CJ xx

    ReplyDelete