Friday 1 March 2024

Lots of little random things

The weather has been mixed for the UK so I have been doing lots of sewing for work because I know when it starts to head into spring proper I will want to be in the greenhouse sowing this years flowers and vegetables. The weather has brought about some fantastic sunsets from my studio which are ALWAYS welcome.


I bought a candlestick from an antique shop for a tenner and because I had seen my mum clean one of these on a weekly basis when I was younger, I thought it would be in my genes to be able to put one back together. She was able to disassemble and put one back together like a blindfolded SAS soldier preparing an assault rifle but alas, it took me an hour to work it out and then had to get one of the girls to hold a bit steady to enable me to gain completion. 



My re-upholstered chair has had its much needed seat addition. I know it looks like a child's theatre booster seat but it is now super comfy and I am able to knit in my new chair with full clearance of the arms.


That said, I have finished knitting a baby sweater and some booties for a neighbour...


...along with a crochet blanket which was simply to use up some yarn from my basket.




My table vase is quite repetitive at the moment as I cut off the wind stricken daffodils from the garden.


I always get itchy fingers for gardening in February but I have learnt over time that you can't trick mother nature and it is best to hang in there until the soil warms up. To ease the craziness I have been potting on some of my house plants into larger pots and taking some cuttings. These ones are doing really well and also ready to move up a pot size.


I have been sewing for work but with the bonus of keeping some of the samples I have sewn. This is the Ilford Jacket It is a unisex pattern which I thought would be a bit meh but I have found that I love it made in boiled wool. The little felted left over pieces made for some fab applique fun. There will be more of these for other members of my family in other fabrics this year I think.



I have added three more characters to my Nativity set. The pattern was only for Mary and Joseph but with a little imagination and some off piste crochet shenanigans, I have made three kings. I'm just waiting for the right thingy to fall into my hands for two more gifts - you never have a broken necklace when you want one!


My neighbour who I taught to crochet 10 years ago asked if I wanted her yarn stash. She can't crochet anymore due to arthritis and it was sad to see such aspiration in one basket which could not be fulfilled but my teens and I enjoyed visiting her and we spilt the yarn between us. At the bottom of the basket was a half finished Elise Shawl. I remember teaching it to a load of people at a class so I finished it off and will give it to her for her birthday. She said I could keep it but it didn't feel right to do that.



 Have you ever seen anvil clouds? These ones were amazing last week. We couldn't stop looking at them.


If that feels like a random phone image dump its because it is but lots of lovely things to inspire you I hope. Thanks for calling in. See you for March...ing where I hope to get out and about in the garden.

Jo xxxx

9 comments:

  1. I have that very same candlestick! Mine is quite tarnished but I am ok with that (and far too lazy to take it apart for a good clean). The Ilford is a fun pattern, I have a pink one which I look forward to wearing when it gets a bit warmer. I love the orange of yours, still a favourite colour. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the candlestick, especially for a tenner! Your chair cushion looks great and is perfect for using now. Love the jacket too. Nice colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lovely inspiration. Thank you
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are always inspiring Jo. The jacket looks fab on you. I'm sure your neighbour will be thrilled with the shawl. It's a beautiful colour. My garden is so wet that I'm not tempted out there yet. Here's to March xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work as always! I’ve been silver cleaning too - quite a few tarnished bits in the cabinet though i do it the way way- bowl lined with tin foil, shiny side up, silver stuff in, tablespoon of bicarb added and pour boiling water over. Tarnish lifts in about five seconds. Rinse it off and dry with a soft cloth. Chemistry hey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ps- particularly like the boiled Will jacket! Great colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jacket looks great and I particularly love the colour and those deep pockets. Even though it took a while to put back together, the candlestick looks great and worth all the effort. No crochet here at the moment but I love your new blanket and the colours. Always good to be able to use up some yarn. Take care Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That jacket does look great, although not a shade and material I would have chosen it looks brilliant made up! The three kings are a winner too, have a super week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful chair, lots of lovely knitting and crochet. It's good to catch up with your blog. Take care, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete