Wednesday 10 January 2024

Wool news

Happy New Year Folks! I have been away skiing in Andorra with our family which was a nice change for New Year celebrations. Back home now with a stonking cold but lots to busy myself with.


I finished a crochet cardigan over Christmas. I was driving everyone crazy by saying, "These sleeves are sooooo boring!" over and over again but they seemed to take so long to make. I just about made it on the pink yarn which I only had one ball of. The pattern is called a Good Vintage cardigan here but on reading the reviews many said the sleeves were too tight so I changed mine up to be a more balloon shape and I think it has really made it a fab spring throw over.



I have also been making a few things to bust out some stash. I have boxes with collections of wool in but none of them are enough to make a garment but enough to be taking up too much space. I bought, yes bought, this nativity pattern from ravelry which is fantastic. The instructions are so well written. I am thinking I will add to the collection over the years adapting the body shapes to include other characters. They are tall - about 25cm which makes them perfect for a Church Window or big window display. The yarn is Drops lima which has a lovely natural looking colour palette and a is great value. I really don't like a vibrant acrylic looking nativity set. Meh!



I always cast on a pair of socks for holiday knitting, it is a good way to pass the time in the airport and can be shoved in a small drawstring project bag. 


This shoppel yarn was from Wonderwool 2023. Two identical balls rolled separately ready for matching sock knitting. I have to admit to be being super excited about the yarn but on knitting up I was a bit disappointed the dye runs are so short it wouldn't have really mattered if they matched or not because a definitive pattern didn't emerge anyway! 


Anyway, because the wool held promise of being used up completely in two matching socks, I decided to knit some toe up socks with an afterthought heel. After knitting the first sock, I was really pleased with the fit so the wool has certainly made me flex my sock pattern choice. I am using a sock 'recipe' book called Socktacular.

That is all of my wooly news. I have some sewing news too which I will catch up on next week. Off to read your blogs. Jo xxxxx

4 comments:

  1. I have already posted a comment once here but I am suffering from randomly disappearing comment syndrome.... Such a great idea to knit socks toe up, particularly when wool is limited. I never tried, maybe this year. Skiing with family to welcome the new year sounds perfect, I am glad you had a great time. Shame about the cold but I hope you feel a bit better already xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh off skiing that does sound exciting, I have to say I have never been. I hope your cold gets better soon. I love the cardigan the colours go so well together. Happy New year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun on the slopes of Andorra with your skiing holiday. Shame you came back with a cold. The nativity figures look great and I'm sure it won't be too difficult to add to the collection over time. Happy New Year, Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cardigan looks gorgeous Jo. Great pattern modification on the sleeves. Glad you had a fun ski trip. I've been to Andorra a couple of times and loved it.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete