Monday 17 October 2022

Sewing with a purpose

Even though my job is to sew samples and make clothes for myself, sometimes I am commissioned to make things I am not sure about. If I think of someone in mind when I make an item of clothing, it helps me to feel focused on the project.

 

This is the Tilly and the Buttons Lyra dress which I made for my friend Hannah. I already had one and I didn't want to video myself making another one which I knew I would not wear. The colour looks amazing on her. The fabric is called pop cheetah.

I have also made an unusual top for myself which I was not sure about. The sleeves, although beautiful are completely impractical. Who wants a top that would impinge access to a buffet? It would be fine for some people's lifestyles but for me, I am too messy. After making the video to show its construction, I altered the sleeves and it has a really wearable shape now. This fabric is called Shingle path but when I wear it, I like to think I am a really tall giraffe -in my dreams - I am 5"3!

I made a wrap skirt for my mum which was fun in a large print fabric called Herbal Halo.

Sometimes I make clothes just for myself, no work or pay required. This is a Tee from my favourite quick sew pattern Newlook 6217. I also did a tutorial on how to make the headband and I love wearing this little combo.

Now, a dress I do like is the Stevie dress again from Tilly and the Buttons. So easy to sew and wear, it is one of my favourite styles at the moment especially as I knock on a bit and wonder where my waist has gone!

  

Thanks for checking out my little round up. I wonder who will be my next victim/recipient?!
 

Jo xxxxxx

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, the shingle path tops looks better with your version of the sleeves. I always like the look of statement sleeves then never reach for the items as they are so impractical. I made my mum a top in the shingle path fabric, I love all your makes and your friend looks gorgeous in her dress. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pequeño - gran resumen.
    Has hecho unas prendas bien bonitas y ésas maravillosas mangas que solo sirven para la foto....... pero son bonitas. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely garments and the prints are super. I actually think that the giraffe top with the sleeves looked so elegant but agree with you about the practicality of them. Who wants wet sleeves everytime you wash your hands or do the dishes. 5’ 3” is a giraffe as far as I’m concerned it’s taller than me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nautical tee and headband Jo. The original sleeves on the shingle path top are very graceful but I would find them too annoying. Your version is still lovely but more wearable.
    (Beverley from Meandmysmallcorner)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As ever, everything you make is just fab. Especially your giraffe top. But I agree about the sleeves with regards to the buffet! And luck Hannah, her dress is gorgeous.
    Jillxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous dress for your friend and I really love your giraffe top, your comment about hindering access to a buffet made me laugh. I need practical clothes too. I am rather obsessed with Afghan coats. Saw one the other day with VERY fluffy wrists and I felt it probably wouldn't be right for dog walks and scooping things up. But oh it was divine. Maybe I could give it a trim... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete