Thursday 21 January 2021

The Cupboard was Bare

 My 13 year old asked me to help her sort her clothes drawer out between Christmas and New Year because everything was too short in the arms and legs. She was excited and said, "Let's look in the drawers under my bed for the next clothes I am going to grow into" Imagine her disappointment when the procedure she was so used to over her whole childhood turned up absolutely nothing! For 13 years we have had a steady stream of second hand clothes from friends and family but it turns out that this wanes as you head into your teens. The only thing she had left was a Joules denim skirt and some long sleeved T-shirts. 

  What was a girl to do?


We headed to the studio and rummaged in the fabric chest. She chose this fabric and asked for a short sleeved shirt. 


I knew I had a vintage pattern that might fit the bill. It happened to be the right size so she cut out the fabric.


She was going to sew it herself but it was a pattern for an experienced sewer, the kind that were found up and down the country in the 1950's


In fact, I found it quite tricky myself! However, she really likes the finished shirt.


There was also some soft stretch denim I was going to make a pinafore for myself with but instead we made a pair of jeggings by drafting a pattern from her best fitting jeans to date and then adding some length and of course seam allowances. These were a real success. 


I even made a flat felled seam on the inside leg to make them look spot on.



Next up we found some slinky grey viscose from Michelle's Lockdown bag and made another Linden top with other bits and bobs: some cream stretch Liverpool jersey and lovely knitted ribbing. 


We found some more things we would like to make, namely leggings that fit her leg length but at least she has some trousers for the colder weather.


I liked the animal print myself and proceeded to make a quilted mat to place on top of the oak worktops above the dishwasher. It protects the wood in the wettest/messiest part of the kitchen.


It is a good job I can sew now that we definitely can't even go out and buy her new clothes that fit. Thankfully Father Christmas bought her a new pack of undies for her Christmas stocking, thank you for small mercies that's all I can say!  

Stay Safe. Jo xxx

9 comments:

  1. You have done a great job making her a new wardrobe so quickly. Love the fabric for the shirt and the quilted mat, it is beautiful. Those girls of your must be standing in buckets of manure, they are growing so quickly...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that she has bespoke clothes made for her in fabrics and designs that she loves. She is a lucky girl. I used to love being given second hand clothes for my children and also passing things on to others always me happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just so gorgeous. I imaging=e she is just as gorgeous on the inside as she is on the outside. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shirt is beautiful! I love the fabric and the way it is made <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your girlie are just amazing! Love her new wardrobe essentials, the fabric of her blouse is just the sweetest I have ever seen. If only I had energy to make something.... I have a dress pattern for a work at home sort of dress but haven't had any spare energy to trace and cut xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks so stylish now and it will be lovely to have unique clothes that her friends will admire! Thank goodness for sewing skills and lovely that she would like to learn too. I love these vintage patterns too, the fitting is spot on. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy reading your blog, makes me think I must start mine up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shirt is a great make Jo. Using the leftovers to make a mat to protect your worktop looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 13 year old is very lucky in her talented mom, she looks wonderful in her new outfits.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete