Friday 1 January 2021

Making Resolutions

Best Wishes for the New Year!

I like to make new years resolutions - not the kind where you decide to run anywhere or eat less chocolate - the kind that inspire me to make things and often challenge myself. In 2020 I decided on:

Knitting  a sweater in 4ply yarn to use some mystery wool I bought at Wonderwool in 2019

I made the Loki Sweater from Knitting from the North by Hilary Grant. I wear this top a lot especially now that we live in a warm house. I have bought an oatmeal long sleeved T-Shirt which I wear underneath it since taking this photo last February. 

A knitting friend of mine made the same one but she had enough wool for the sleeves on hers! I was supply teaching one day and a familiar little girl in the class said, "My mum has that jumper too!" not what you expect to hear when you knit a sweater of such complexity.

A bonus second knit in 4ply was this sweater from Pom Pom magazine called Waterlands. I used up the last of the red and white from my previous make and it was also a joy to knit.

Next up: To sew a pattern from my pattern box that is unopened. I tend to use the same patterns and alter them.


Looking back I didn't make as many as I thought I had but a dress for Meg and a top for me both came from a new Ottobre magazine. The vest top is a new favourite pattern from NewLook 6035 and finally the Emma Pinafore from Simply sewing. 

I would like to have a go at more new patterns in 2021 as it still seems that I make the same things in different guises: Linden Sweatshirts, Scout T tops and Carolyn PJ's.

Finally...to crochet more of my acrylic stash for gifting.




All of my acrylic yarn has gone except for a little drawstring bag Heidi has for crocheting with. The recipient of the baby blanket loved it because it was not like any other she had seen. :)

For 2021 I would like to:

1) Learn to use the ruffler foot for my sewing machine

2)Make a dent in my fabric scraps especially the thin strips

3)To sew a raincoat

Has it made you think of something you would like to finish or start?

Happy New Year. Jo xxxx

8 comments:

  1. Great Post as usual. My resolution is to get back into crafting. Parkinsons has stopped this lately but I have decided that I can not let it win. I have several "ufo's" so I shall start with them. Thanks for your inspiration all year and happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done as much sewing as I would like over the last year. I have two pinafore dresses (denim and cord) I need to make and I would love to get to grips with stretch fabric and make a tunic dress but am just a little apprehensive! Perhaps 2021 will be the year I give it a go!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year was the year of learning a little crochet. I bought my sewing machine during the first lockdown but haven't done much with it yet. Maybe this is the year of the sewing machine!
    Happy days ahead to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year, wishing you everything you wish for yourself. I intend to do some more painting, experimenting with water colours acrylics and oils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no big aspirations, I like yours but to me this year is about trying to find a wee bit more balance in my life so I don't always feel so overwhelmed with work and home responsibilities Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not recommend that enough. I have finally got there but it sure is hard. xx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year to you and your family. I intend to make a top and skirt with fabric I bought before Christmas. I really need daylight though. The fabric for the top was from Minerva. I really rate them, after seeing some of their fabrics that you have used. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made some really lovely things, I’m looking forward to seeing next years sewing.

    ReplyDelete