Monday 21 September 2020

Needles and Thread

 She is good, very, very good. I have realised of late that I am no longer as good at embroidery as I used to be because my eyes are not so sharp. My ten year old however is a demon stitcher. Look at this beauty.

Her first attempt was actually this unicorn on a rainbow but as my youngest goes against the grain of most fashion imagery, she shows a contempt for unicorns that would never ever be necessary in her future life. She was adamant - it was a horse on a rainbow because unicorns aren't real! You go for it girl.


She has persevered with french knots and now has that safely under her belt along with splitting off strands from the main thread which she found tricky at first. She also learnt the hard way about cutting the tail off too short when she got to the end of her thread.




She is off again with a new design featuring a hedgehog.

My eldest daughter, who is thirteen, has taken her stitching to a different place. I returned from work last week to find she had covered a snag on her jeans with some freestyle embroidery. How cool is that? She says it isn't finished yet but I was most impressed.



She returned to them another day to enhance the pockets. 

I have ANOTHER hole in my jeans. This week I decided to use a ready made patch I bought in Italy on holiday last year along with a little homemade applique. The lace covers the long rip repair and the owls strengthen the repair vertically.


Thanks for popping in, I am off to make an appointment at the opticians. Can I do that yet I wonder? These girls have made my eyes feel old and worn out!

Jo xxx

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff from all 3 of you. Embroidery is 'my thing' but it undoubtedly messes with your eyesight. Being picky, it is frustrating that my eyesight has got dodgier - poor light issues and being both long and short sighted. However, I still peer in order to do my best.

    All of your projects are delightful so not picking favourites. All of it very nicely done. I loved this post so thank you for sharing.

    The girls are doing some beautiful work - very impressive, both of them. But.....unicorns ARE real!! (Aren't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, their embroidery is brilliant. It's something I learned a little when I was growing up but have all forgotten. They are making me wonder if I should have another go. Your jeans repair is a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I go to the optician for a test, I take my knitting,to get the right prescription for varifocals, then I can get them to check the distance I knit at.
    Your daughter's embroidery is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your girls are very talented! I hope you get the right glasses from optician and be back to embroidery - keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing! It is lovely to see talent and crafting happiness running in a family. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What talented girls you have. Love the jean repair you did, a work of art and not something that I would have even thought of. Hope all goes well at the optician.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Such beautiful neat work. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Demon stitchers, all three of you! Your little one sounds like a free spirit, I like that. She reminds me a lot of my daughter, who has no time for unicorns either. I have a pair of jeans with a rip parallel to the back pocket. Maybe not all is lost, I should busy some embroidery floss and have a go at decorating the mended bits. Can you recommend a book that teaches embroidery stitches? I feel for you, my eye sight is also deteriorating. I noticed that I am almost blind-stitching when sitting in the living room with cosy lighting... Eye tests are possible here at the moment (but maybe not tomorrow...). Fingers crossed you got an appointment xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've already said that talent runs in your family but this is a whole new level, Jo! Fantastic embroidery and your owl patch is not too bad either ;-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are such talented girls and have skills that will always be useful and fun, the designs are magnificent. Happy stitching, you need a big magnifying glass! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's so good!! This took precision and patience and it's so neat! Well done to her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stitching from you all! I have a couple of magnifying glasses and my glasses, it’s still tricky to see at times!
    Barbara xx 😘

    ReplyDelete