Thursday 18 June 2020

Jumpin'

Just the heads up on a fantastic fabric and a perfect pattern. 


I sometimes fall into the trap of using the same patterns over and over again but with different fabric - nothing wrong there - but I really wanted to try making a jumpsuit which suited my body shape. It was time to switch things round a bit.


This is Burda 6516. I looked at an awful lot of patterns looking for just the right one. The features that lured me towards this one were full bra strap coverage, wide legs, enormous pockets and a clear waistline so that I could adjust body length. I don't normally buy Burda patterns because they are always too long for me but I knew I could make it work. In this one, I had to take 2" off the lengthen shorten line on the legs.




This fabric from Minerva is by John Kaldor. There is only the purple colourway left but I really liked it with my charity shop Clarks purple shoes. I cut a size 12 top grading to a 14 on the waist knowing I had a waist tie to nip it in a bit while feeling certain it would be easy to get on and off. I cut a 12 lower leg but graded out to a 14 on my hips. You can get a feel for these kind of alterations the more clothes you make for yourself.



The crepe, which is a really good weight for this garment, was perfect for the soft pleats in the front and back. These are also quite adjustable during fitting in tandem with the darts on the trousers. Brilliantly, the pattern allows you to get a cracking fit depending on your body shape.


If I made it again, I would carve out a little more for the armholes; it must be my builders arms! I am saying 'again' because this was a test run for my nephews wedding (whenever that will be now). It is still totally wearable, but if I wanted perfection then that is what I would do next time.

Are you a jumpsuit fan? People either seem to love them or loathe them.

I may be off the radar for a while, I have volunteered to work full time until the end of term so that all year groups of children at our school can return and be in smaller classes. Just four weeks...and breathe. Jo xxxx

8 comments:

  1. I haven't worn a jumpsuit in years but I do remember having some fabulous Laura Ashley ones in the 80s and 90s. This does look great and so comfy too. Nowadays I don't think I would because being older I need quick access for the loo (sorry for the thought that may have entered your head). x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wear jumpsuits many moons ago but like Kay these days... I will let you fill the gap. Love the pattern you used and the fabric is beautiful, looks lovely on you. A great item that can be worn for any ocassion dressed up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. I love how you can alter the pattern to suit your body shape. I used to wear jumpsuits in the 80's, but mine were the parachute ones, silky with several zips on the legs and body. I thought I looked so cool LOL Would I wear one now? I don't know. I'd wear a shell suit again, definitely. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always Jo, you have made a fab garment that suits you so well. I have just bought my first sewing machine so will be giving it a go with something simple. However I do have other things going on at the moment so it may have to wait a while for its maiden sewing voyage.
    Good luck with the next few weeks in school....and breathe x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your jumpsuit Jo, it really suits you. I'm enjoying the "sewing bee" so much this year. Do you watch it? I think you should try and enter...you would do fabulously I'm sure.
    Thank you for the kind comment at mine. I'm a bad blogger, but happy to be back.
    Good luck with school
    Jacquie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely the style really suits you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would look ridiculous in a jumpsuit because I am so tall, so I have a bit of jumpsuit envy that you look so wonderful in your new outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jumpsuit is gorgeous! I've just made my first ever jumpsuit, the Zadie jumpsuit.

    ReplyDelete