Tuesday 21 April 2020

Mostly Making

I am feeling the need to sew things that are different to just choosing a pattern and sewing it up - I need the crazy, creative buzz I love. To set myself a mini challenge, I emptied all the little bits of jersey I had onto the floor...



With it, I have made these rather cute baby leggings.


I have been working with this little pile of jersey scraps for a week now. It goes a surprisingly long way with baby wear. There are also a few cut up T-shirts in there too to get neckbands cut out on the stretchy grain.





It was fun to make leg cuffs from different fabrics and really keep the sewing challenge alive. I have two friends who are having babies in May and June and my heart really goes out to them at the moment. I am making lots of little hand made things which I will send in a cotton pump bag so they can put them in the washing machine before opening them. Here is a little cuteness gallery for you to indulge in:



Because I am using up Jersey scraps I had to have a cut down the centre front of this one but other than that it is the perfect little tunic top. The gather on the waist is done with two rows of shirring elastic on the machine, it looks very effective.
All of these patterns come from the Autumn 2012 Ottobre magazine: my favourite one which hass currently been reprinted.


The cuffs were pretty fiddly on a mini sweat top that is only the length of a ruler but it was such a satisfying sew.


I knew I could re purpose the last of my jersey dress. This was a great set to make. 


This is the same as the floral one but with plain T-shirt sleeves instead of the detailed gathered ones. Still gorgeous though!


Finally I remembered what a pig this fabric was to sew in the first instance when I madea complete mess of a set of PJ's for myself in it about 3 years ago. I persevered. The sleeves are a little stretched out across the grain but the leggings were fine??

It is quite addictive making a little item each day to completion.

Stay safe. Jo xx

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I’m always wondering what to do with jersey scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Joh, they are gorgeous! I have a new grandson and really must get to my sewing machine rather than into the kitchen all the time ;) I also have lots of fabrics..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And let's change that to Jo shall we? ;) My bestie is Joh :)

      Delete
  3. They are so cute, you always have lots of baby gifts on the go. It is such a good way to use up the little bits of fabric. I have one friend with little ones at the moment and they are boys I don't think a lot of my floral fabric would be appreciated ;) Although that said my grown up son is wearing handmade floral boxers Ha! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know those boxers were fab - the floral ones were my favourite!

      Delete
  4. They look very comfortable and the material will be perfect for babies. I agree about feeling sorry for anyone pregnant at the moment. It must be very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all adorable, what beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so adorable Jo! So amazing. Anyone would be thrilled to dress their baby in these wonderful outfits.

    ReplyDelete