Thursday 27 September 2018

Sew Different

 My Minerva make this month had some ups and downs. I was really taken with a Sew Different pattern called The Essential Denim Dress. It showed so much potential for using up spare bits of fabric.


I was equally keen when the Linen Look Polyester blue and beige fabric arrived. I knew I had piece of grey denim from a bag project to throw into the mix and the thought of mixing and matching excited me. 


My skin tone is not great with beige against it so I opted to place those on the side panels. I placed the blue nearer my face. I started to have a wobble when I saw the size of the yoke piece because I was getting worried it was going to have 'sack appeal'.


On sewing, the top was indeed huge and the dart was nowhere near my breast, I tried it in three different places before I realised that it looked better without it altogether but also retained a nice shape. Strange. I took quite a bit off the side seams too. Maybe I just chose the wrong size in the first instance?


It is ridiculous to say but I pinched out another 1 1/2 inches out of the shoulders from the original seam line. If you make this pattern I recommend a muslin/toile to find the best fit or size choice for you. At this bodging stage, I was losing hope it would ever be a dress that would get any air time but on completion, I loved it.


My friend gave me this jacket at the start of Summer in her wardrobe clear out however I doubted I would ever wear it but it felt such good quality and here it is making a perfect match for me. I think this garment will have a double life as a work dress and a casual tunic. There are not any zips or fastenings so this is as shapely as it can be whilst enabling me to get it on and off.


The pocket is excellent and if I made it again I might even consider adding two. 


The fabric is light but dense which makes it perfect for Autumn/winter.I wore it to teach today, in fact this is me at home in the evening after a full days wear, and it doesn't hold a crease in the underarm keeping it smart all day. It was really comfortable and easy to move around in. I wore this same outfit to a Christening too.


 This project started off on a high, dipped in the middle during fitting and ended with a triumphant finish. 

Jo xxx

13 comments:

  1. You went through a lot with this one. It came out really beautiful for all of that, though. I love the way it looks with the jacket. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great stash buster! I'm glad the fit worked out well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you would consider this a triumph, it is gorgeous great for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so neat to see how the different jackets both compliment the very cleverly made dress! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a tricky one to get it to fit you! You did a great job, your dress fits so well and looks good, too. I would have consigned it to the bottom of a deep drawer after the second darts didn't work..... The two jackets make for two very different outfits, how useful! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so glad you finished it because it looks amazing! I love the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so clever Jo. I think this is my favourite of all the things I've seen on your blog, I absolutely LOVE it. |If I were a size to suit it I would totally be commissioning one, honestly its so gorgeous. And your necklace ?! That's a beauty too :)
    Yours with envy!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is looking great! And your ideas of mix and match worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely outfit, the dress looks great sorry to hear you had problems with it. It all worked out well in the end. I love the idea of using different fabrics I may have a go at copying using odd bits I have left at some point if you don't mind. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look smashing my friend, and I am deeply jealous of those marvelous boots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress looks just lovely! I adore patchwork clothes. Would love to see a back view too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just pain blue I am afraid but if I was pushed by fabric quantities I would quarter or halve it! Jo x

      Delete