Thursday 21 June 2018

Machine Star Wrap Skirt

This month my Minerva post was handed over to my own little machine Star. She made the garment and has written a pattern review.


"I enjoyed making this beautiful patterned wrap skirt and even more, I love wearing it." 


Machine Stars wrap skirt pattern review


The tracing paper pattern was easy to cut out and very thick, which made it easy to handle without ripping, however the pattern wasted a lot of paper leaving me to throw it away. 



The instructions were simple to follow and very quick. I would also have loved it much better if the pattern came in more than one size as I had to use darts on the back to keep it up on me. I wasn't to keen on the layout of the pattern pieces on the material as it wasted a lot, instead we used half the material size by using 150cm x 60cm. The thing I liked about this pattern was it's easy to read glossary to help you if you were stuck on a term or needed support that you maybe wouldn't have to hand. 



My mum and me made some changes. Firstly, I found a problem with the hem because it left a raw edge so when I did it, we folded it over  twice making sure it wouldn't fray or come loose. I was wondering how to wear this skirt and where to tie the ribbon so they could have put that on another piece of paper or fitted it on the second sheet. 




I spent around three hours making this skirt spreading it over two days. It was easy to sew as it was mainly straight lines and no weird shaped curves. The fabric given to me was amazing it had a good pattern and great colours and it was also easy to iron. It was not too thick to sew over layers or to be a summer skirt. It was also good because it didn't matter which way up the pattern was. You needed quite a bit of ribbon for the skirt tie(2.50cm)to go right the way around the waist. We used some ribbon that came on mum's new expensive towels.



Soon I shall be making one for my sister in blue and white flowered fabric and red ribbon. Altogether, I loved this pattern and its instructions. This really helped me get even more into sewing and give me more handmade clothes to wear out and about to inspire people to make clothes for themselves. Heidi xxx😃



There you have it. If you have a budding sewer this pattern was really good, she only needed me to be in the room not actually helping her. Heidi is 10 and can use a sewing machine:topstitching; using zig zag stitch; finishing sewing with a forward and back tack and removing pins as she sews.



Thanks Minerva for a confident sewing experience with beautiful resources. 
Mum xxx

12 comments:

  1. That’s amazing! I loved sewing when I was her age and this is clearly such a great pattern. It looks so lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that skirt is amazing. Well done Heidi. A very inspiring blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Heidi, I love your pretty skirt. What a great job you made of it too. I have a similar style skirt I made a couple of years ago and it is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did really well Heidi, it is finished beautifully and looks great on you too. I am sure that your sister will love hers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful skirt Heidi, well done! You are very good with your sewing. My daughter doesn't like sewing much but my youngest little boy does. He is nine. Unfortunately, the skirt is probably not a pattern for him :-) but he made some pyjama bottoms instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your sewing process review, Heidi. Your skirt is lovely, and your good effort inspires me to get better at using my Singer Featherweight machine 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely Heidi thank you for sharing with us x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that will be a Textiles GCSE in the bag then. Fab post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful skirt and a lovely post Heidi. You've inspired me to get out my sewing machine and attempt something similar. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful post and a lovely skirt Heidi! I think it is amazing that you are already sewing your own clothes and what a lovely little pattern, well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW,well done you.I love your skirt and that fabric is so pretty.So what's next then.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's ace. Tell her well done, a great post and she made a beautiful, practical skirt too.

    ReplyDelete