Monday 22 August 2016

Outfitting with NEWLOOK K6127

I love it when you can make something to go with something else, especially if it uses up leftovers - I think we all know that about me by now!


I made a top and a skirt which went with my crochet necklace and my charity-shop-never-worn-Boden-sandals which I bought last week for 99p!!!!


The fabric was a remnant I bought for £5.00 from a Shropshire fabric shop called Textile Express. Good weight, superb quality, nice shop.

The pattern did not thrill me so much. I chose a Maria Denmark pattern which I paid for a while back because I wanted a skirt with a yoke but I hate printing, cutting and piecing a PDF especially when I have paid for it (I didn't read the purchase rules properly) and the instructions were vague along with unnumbered pages. Also it was not clear where to cut on the fold so my back facing was too small making my skirt a tad tight on the waist. All in all it wasn't my favourite purchase but now I have made it I know what to do to make it better.



The top however is from New Look K6217, a go to pattern for an easy skirt, t-shirt or capri trousers. It is meant for jersey but I used up the last piece of navy crepe (left over from my party jumpsuit last year) and made a back slit, loop and button to get it over my head.


This is a top that will keep on giving - easy to make, quick to dry, non iron, non crease, tummy skimming and navy which goes with everything. What more could you ask for? A useful 90 minutes worth of sewing I reckon. 

Jo xxxxxx

12 comments:

  1. The top is beautiful!! I'm not a fan of pdfs either I'd much rather have a printed pattern
    Frankie
    Www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the neckline on your top and non-worn Boden sandals for 99p must be the bargain of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic to hear that you have used up a remnant-what a great skirt for £5.00! I also have so many remnants hanging around-must make some. Colours are fab together too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only did you prove your bargain savvy, but I can imagine you enjoying switching parts of the great outfit around with different shirts/skirts/slacks to create more great outfits. My mom sewed a pantsuit for me years ago and then a vest and different colored coordinating slacks that helped me create many different looks which I enjoyed doing for years. I had trouble just enlarging a pattern as the author intended from their book so I think you are very clever to figure out how to properly use the PDF version! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great outfit, love the top a great go to, so easy to wear. What a bargain with the sandals a great Summer addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is a lovely outfit Jo and a fab bargain with your sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab top and, like you say, a great feeling to use up a piece that otherwise just sits in the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous outfit I really like the combination of skirt and top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look amazing as usual my friend, love your new outfit.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this whole outfit! The top is a beautiful colour and so versatile, it sounds like a great pattern. I love the look of the skirt too and the beautiful print. Sorry you had problems with the pattern though, it's so annoying when that happens! Great new outfit you've made! XxxX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both pieces are very nice and look great together. I think I might want to have a go at that top pattern. So many times I see patterns for knitted fabrics that I like, when I prefer to use woven fabric, so your suggestion for putting an opening on it is useful, thank you.

    I won't buy pdf patterns as there as so many pieces to put together. I am wary of indie sizing too, as they seem to come out rather large. I know where I am with commercial patterns, they are a lot cheaper and have a huge range and are tried and tested. Some of the indie patterns are far too expensive and then to have to mess about with umpteen pieces of paper and cellotape is bound to make me cross before I even start!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great outfit, I love the shape of your top, I think I need to hunt down a copy of it. I don't mind pdf's if they fit together nicely, are numbered and are laid out well, your skirt looks great and I'm in love with your sandals, I often shop in charity shops and never find amazing bits, I will keep hunting though.

    ReplyDelete