Thursday 25 August 2016

Cotton Lawn Vintage Casual Dress

I don't own a wrap dress. They are supposed to be the most flattering dress ever but for people short in the body like me I look strangely trussed up like a chicken. So when I saw a wrap dress in my new sewing book, Gertie Sews Vintage Casual, which looked a bit different I dived straight in.




I liked the shift dress style silhouette and used my Minerva fabric choice for this month to choose a vintage floral design unfortunately they have sold out of all four colours it was so popular! The fabric is cotton lawn and is very fine, slightly sheer in fact. I wanted this to be a dress to wear when it is so hot you don't really want to wear anything. 


I cut a size 12 but the photo in the book was a bit misleading in terms of the skirt. It had a gathered skirt at the back and sides which really did nothing for me! It stuck out at the hips and made my bum look huge in fact it just ended up looking too big all over.


The front gaped really badly so I knew I needed to shorten the bodice even more. I set about putting it right. I took out all the skirt gathers and added darts to match the ones on the front and back body. I also made these longer and deeper to take some of the gape out of the bust. In the end I added a side zip and sewed all the front parts down to my measurements. I can put it on like a shift dress so essentially it is a faux wrap dress now.



This project epitomises the reason I like to make my own clothes. I could never buy this and no one else will be wearing one, it is all mine and fits only my body.


Thanks Minerva for my August summer dress, might have to save this for next year now. Jo x

PS. I have cleaned the lens on my camera to find that it is all scratched Bah! I hate out of focus shots.

21 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. I love the print and your finished dress looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pretty dress Jo and like you say unique to you. I'm hoping to pluck up he courage to make a dress tomorrow. A much simpler one that your wrap dress though. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing and I love your choice of fabric. I am short too been 4' 11" so even the petite range in shops doesn't fit properly I really should make some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely dress Jo lets hope that we keep the nice weather so that you get some wear out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow how different does that look. It's turned out really nice and very flattering. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unless you are a skinny beanpole gathered skirts make you look at least a size bigger, love your finished dress, much better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it xx the material looks lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. It looks great on you and the fabric is so pretty. I'm not a fan of gathered skirts -why make your hips look bigger? Your alterations to yhe pattern have really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is gorgeous! Faux wrap dresses are the way to go, definitely. I don't know why I never thought of this. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful, the fabric really suits the style. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever, I love it 😊 Gorgeous print too 😀

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree about wrap round NOT being the most flattering, especially for a figure like mine. Never found one yet I liked. I do love how you altered the dress pattern and your fabric is divine. You are clever.
    Sandra 👗

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the shape of the collar! The dress looks good, but I'd love to see if the top could be converted to a playsuit. That would look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on - there is a pattern hack in the book to add trousers to the top - the modelling is a bit 'land girl' as it is made in chambray but it looks good. Jo x

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous gorgeous! Love this fabric and the fit is just perfect, so flattering.
    I've always avoided wrap dresses as I don't think I'm busty enough, sewing the wrap down and adding the zip is brilliant - no unintended flashing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done it again, brilliant my friend you are a master!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful dress Jo and it looks so good on you. Well done on adapting the pattern to fit you so well...that would be completely beyond me!
    Marine x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous dress, you've made it look great with your changes, it looks super on

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty. What a great idea to sew the wrap down to avoid gaping. Hopefully the sun will keep shining for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the material and how you fashioned it just for you, Jo! I hope you wear it often and for many years to come. Xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely, and you look beautiful (as always) but that fabric! It's so perfect, just the right amount of floral and chintz and vintage, but not over the top. I would totally wear that (but would need to lengthen the body to take into account my long torso and 5'11" frame) and this - again - just makes me wish I could make my own clothes. xx

    ReplyDelete