Tuesday 6 December 2022

I knit a really ugly thing...

  I have knit the ugliest, most disastrous thing ever.


I chose the yarn at Woolfest way back in April and in my head, it was going to be a colourful, unique tank top.


If only I reaslised by taking a closer look at the picture, after so much unpicking, that it was asymmetrical. The little fan was only on one side and the shoulders are not equal in size until you add the side panel, which incidentally is knit horizontally. Blah! Blah!


I carried on because a) I am a capricorn and b) I was actually enjoying the colourwork and how the yarn was knitting up. After sewing it up, I thought it might be better; but it was worse. In the instructions it suggests not even finishing the large grey shoulder and only adding rib to the smaller colour work shoulder?? 


It had a 100% chance of actually going in the compost bin until I tried it on. The sizing was pretty good. It looked better on, so for now, it has a 50% chance of survival. I have had to put it away for a while because I couldn't give it any more of my enthusiasm. Maybe in the new year I will work on the armholes.


On the plus side, my mum has been coming up with some amazing knits. She made me this Kate Davies sweater which I love. I have enjoyed wearing pink for a change.


Mum has also knit me this tank on request. It is Sirdar 9306 which I knit for myself quite a few years back, but after lots of wear it went too bobbly to wear in the end and didn't make our house move. It is a fantastic garment for putting over the top of virtually anything. Cord shirts are notoriously difficult to put a sleeve over the top of comfortably but with these mahoosive armholes it is not a problem.


I made the babycord shirt from Newlook 6449. It is a dress pattern, but I like the fit and the details so it works well as a pattern hack for a shirt.


Lastly, here are the snowflakes I showed friends how to crochet at craft club. It is true...every snowflake is unique...even it is from the same pattern!!

Thanks for dropping in. I am off to cast on a sock or add to my new crocheted jumper. Maybe I will finsh some success. Jo xxxx

11 comments:

  1. Some projects are challenging... maybe in the new year, you'll make friends with your asymmetric top. I wish my mum would knit for me! Yours is talented, that's for sure. Happy crafting xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "ugly thing" looks beautiful to me. I keep my fingers crossed that it survives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is odd, but don’t compost the colourful wool. Could you bear to unravel it? If you still feel like knitting a fairisle tanktop I can heartily recommend Ella Gordon’s Roosty which was originally published in the Shetland Wool Week Annual 2021 but is now on Ella’s Ravelry design page. I have knitted several of Ella’s designs and they are all wearable and fit well and not in the least bit mumsy. I am currently knitting Orlane Sucche’s Perec vest in wool bought from the producer in Wales - it’s 4 ply, woollen spun, undyed and a combination of Llanwenog and Black Welsh Mountain which gives a subtle fleck through the knitting. Sarah (whose knitting mad mum was born in Shrewsbury - which is why I enjoy reading your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it will be alright in the end. I just had to walk away for a while! I will check out that designer for sure.

      Delete
  4. I don’t think it’s ugly at all. The knitting is lovely and the colours all mesh really well. You’re probably right to pop it away then when you look at it next time you’ll see it in a different light. The small crocheted snowflakes are very pretty and the over sweater is super trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I rather like it although I am a Libra and do like a bit of symmetry and NO-ONE CAN MOVE ANYTHING ON THE MANTELPIECE. But wearing it you will not have to look at anything asymmetrical so all will be fine. I absolutely love your mum's knits, lucky you! The tank is particularly brilliant, I love how it fits over the shirt. I have been feeling the need for a poncho or wrap or something lately. Quilts are out of the cupboard which is always nice in the winter. Hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stripy jumper with the pinks on you that is fabulous. Sometimes it is hard to stop when you put work into something but if you don't love it now?? I am trying to be more like this with things and it is hard as I hate waste. Love the snow flakes. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! Your colours are lovely, but I do think the original design is a bit of a fail. It reminds me of the bit on the The Great British Sewing Bee where they say "Take two completely different garments and come up with something new" - this designer ended up with a traditional Fair Isle tank top grafted onto a peplum jumper with the sleeves cut off...I think for your own peace of mind you probably need to finish it and try it on to see if it does turn out to be that unique/quirky top you first envisioned, but don't weave any ends in until you're sure! If all else fails could you salvage the main section of Fair Isle knitting (below armhole shaping) and use it as the central panel in a more symmetrical design? Watching this space! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter sensibly said the same and suggested a cushion cover with the fairisle part.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful creative mum you have Jo. The sweater and tank are fab on you. Maybe in the New Year you will feel more like picking up the fairisle again and weaving your own brand of magic into it. Love the snowflakes. Mine are decorating our mantelpiece like last year. (Beverley from Meandmysmallcorner)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas xx
    from Beverley at Meandmysmallcorner

    ReplyDelete