Wednesday 7 October 2020

Seemed so simple...

 In my head, this top seemed so simple. I had made it before, I knew it would fit, I had a wearable print of top quality fabric but oh my, the stress of it all!

I bought the fabric from the Sea Salt sale last year and went all out on the accessories. It is a cotton lawn which I thought would be easy to sew but I won't be buying any again.


The cotton was very thin which didn't bother me from a wearing point of view but my sewing machine would not sew it. It just kept skipping stitches and refusing to sew. I knew this was a needle size issue from my experience sewing lingerie fabrics but I didn't think it would happen with cotton.  After a frustrating and 'sweary' afternoon trying to make it with various needles from my tin I decided to throw it across the room and order some 60/8 needles.


Yes, it worked straight away when I put the 60/8 needles in but by then I just wanted it finished; it seemed so simple.


Finally, success with angst. I thought I would share my pain with you so that if you are sewing a very lightweight fabric don't be fooled into thinking your machine has lost tension. 
Change the needle.It is so simple!


For any crocheters out there, here is the link on ravelry for the button necklace I made a few years ago, a superb way to use up tiny buttons.


Thanks for popping in as ever. Keep it simple folks. Jo xxx

10 comments:

  1. I have only used Liberty cotton lawn, which I didn't have a problem sewing. It was a bit thinner than I expected but my main problem was that it creased easily. I still made 2 more tops in it though, haha. I made 2 skirts in Seasalt jersey fabric this summer. They sewed up well. Supposed to be the same weight but one was definitely thinner. Pleased with them . You can't beat having a feel of the fabric or wool in a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look lovely though, despite the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous top. I have only use cotton lawn for EPP and even then have to be careful which needle I use. Enjoy wearing your little bit of lovely summer. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worth all the frustration I am sure when you see the end result. Loving the button necklace, such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goes very nicely with the jeans (which, imo, are the star of the show) - give yourself a pat on the back for persistence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the top, Jo! Good job you knew the needles were the problem, I would probably have thought it was the foot pressure or something! I remember when you bought the fabric, and it does look great.
    Oh, the button necklace looks brilliant, well done!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it looks great now, I know the feeling though when you think something is going to be a quick make and you end up shouting at the machine. All finished now though and going fab with the revamped jeans. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you finished the top in the end, it looks fab. I have a length of Seasalt cotton lawn. I better order some 60/8 needles. My smallest are the 70/10 needles xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a pretty top! The fabric is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to learn about the importance of using the right kind of needle. The top looks lovely and I especially admire the button necklace you made! xx

    ReplyDelete