Sunday 3 May 2020

Lots of Doing

We can't help 'doing' it is what we are good at. Today I thought I would share little snap shots of what I have seen my whole family doing in lock down.



  
Big girl is getting quite the thirteen year old in terms of mood swings so she took herself off to the spare room and crocheted a phone case all on her own.


We have been enjoying the weather by walking the dog to a fishing pool where today, the fish came to the top to say hello. My children have been asking to go on long walks.


We have done some home decorating then the girls hand painted some plant pots for half an hour.




The garden is looking good. We are currently stock piling plants ready for our new house but we need to keep them watered. Heidi divided up some of our current ones to move on to the next garden. They have both taken spider house plant cuttings which have taken brilliantly too. Lettuce and rocket seeds are also underway.



Whole family cleaning has been taking place. Cupboards sorted through, cooker cleaned and skirting boards wiped down. We have eaten well with more time to spare to make each meal. The girls were surprised how much they liked parsnip bread - a sort of huge cheesy scone eaten with soup.


We rummaged around in the freezer and found many boxes of blackberries we picked last year. Meg made up a batch of ice cream. She has been recording her culinary endeavours to gain her confectioners badge at Guides. 


She made fudge too.


Then a huge Meringue. She is so good at cooking because she has a precise nature which I do not possess.


We still have to visit our small holding farm to feed the sheep. Building work has slowed down because we can't get supplies which is a shame therefore we have jumped to landscaping the garden on our schedule because that it mostly with things we already have.


Andy has brewed 40 pints of beer Whooo! He has bottled it so not long to wait now. My dad bought me the sign on the wall for my birthday many moons ago. It reminds me of him every time I read it and it makes me chuckle to myself (with glee!).


I resorted to cutting mine and Megan's fringe with dressmaking scissors last week - wasn't a bad job. The girls did Andy's hair with male grooming clippers and we also chopped some chunks off the dog:needs must.

I don't really know what else to say other than we are very grateful to be able to stay healthy, keep busy, continue to have jobs and an income while trying to make the most of what we have. We feel we are an incredibly fortunate family.

Stay safe. Jo xxx 

7 comments:

  1. I think we are all incredibly fortunate and I try to remember that each evening before I fall asleep. Your family is just beautiful Jo, as are you my friend. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that meringue! I'd walk a mile to one of them just now. I'd probably need to run 5 after eating it!! We've also been eating well, there is just a little more time to think about meals now and we also eat week time lunch together, which is a new experience. Richard is just about to bottle his batch of beer, I think he brewed an IPA but I can't be sure (it all bubbles the same as it brews). I also feel very fortunate, grateful for all the space we have and secure jobs that allows to indulge in little lockdown luxuries. Have a wonderful week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will second what Christina says about the meringue, it looks amazing. You have reminded me that I have an ice-cream maker tucked away in the cupboard. The sign is brilliant, it would work well for me as well I think. I have dog grooming scissors and I am trying to get people to agree to haircuts. They are surprisingly reluctant, but I think I have almost cracked the littlest boy. And of course there is also the dog, who was due for a professional groom on Wednesday, but it's looking like it might be me and my snippers instead. Oh, how cross he will be. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, the meringue looks amazing. I have plenty of eggs so I am thinking that is what I can do this afternoon. Like you Jo we feel very blessed to have a roof over our heads and ample food in these strange times. I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food seems to be a recurring theme for most of us during this time, doesn't it? And whats not to like about that??! It's comforting, nurturing, satisfies our need for sustenance and often our sweet tooth ;) Your daughter seems to have the makings of a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely sheep! Are they Ouessants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they are hebridean. They eat anything - bracken, brambles and grass!

      Delete