Wednesday 27 November 2019

All Done #26 - Drops Nepal

This is a long lingering sort of All done post. A love hate relationship developed around this yarn. A cosy blend of wool and alpaca; I absolutely love it to knit with, wear, wash and buy economically but the pattern made me start to hate it.



I fell in love with the Beatnik sweater pattern on Ravelry but was unable to concentrate on the intricate cable pattern with so many family interruptions. "Mum can we have a snack?, Mum can we just... Mum can you help me with .... Mum can you sign this.... Mum can you play that...Mum what is a double treble..." It was an endless round of 3 rows forward, 6 rows back. I started it in March 2018. I started it 5 times. Then I passed it on to my dear mother to try and have a go for me. We decided to make the front cabled and then simply chose to knit the rest in stocking stitch. I didn't want to burden my mum in the same way it had been so problematic for me.


Anyway many months passed and Mum arrived with my sweater a few weeks ago on 30th October 2019 and I have not had it off my back since.



It has those celebratory features of being just right in the hip length and perfect in the sleeve length. Thank you so much mum xxxxx




The wool that was left over made a hat...




A knitting bag, incorporating Drops Karisma...



And over this last week I used the last 4 and half balls to make a cosy jumper for a friend's little boy. It was a free new pattern for me but a delight to whip up. It is made from the bottom up in the round. I added a bit of detail along the bottom. I watched a video for a very stretchy neck bind off which was brilliant - highly recommended this for a child's neck hole. 




This wool has all gone but do you know what? I love it so much I have bought a few more balls to make some Christmas hats. That is what using up all of your stash is great for; having some guilt free yarn shopping time.

Thanks for dropping in as ever. Jo xxxx

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous jumper and wonderful that Mum was able to finish it fir you. I haven't knitted in over a year since I learnt to crochet. Mum taught me to knit and it's lovely to see your girls have embraced it too. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely jumper, worth all the trouble I think, it looks great on you. The child's jumper is brilliant too. Yay for stretchy neck holes, you will be thanked for that. In my experience small boys do not like the tight neck holes, no not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a triumph Jo, three cheers to your mum. I've had this jumper in my Ravelry list but haven't found my mum equivalent yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous sweater Jo. I made one very much like it for my Mum years ago before I had children. IT took every ounce of energy I had. It was a bit big but she wore it all the time, for years actually. Love all your makes. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved your post too much because I more than understand. The amount of disturbances that my family give me makes me even scared to attempt any intricate items due to fear of loosing concentration. Your end result is simply perfection at it's very best.

    ReplyDelete