Saturday 24 November 2018

Best Dress Tunic

 Hello! Well, here is Burda 9380 take two. This version has a few little alterations which makes for the most comfy best dress tunic.
  

I have made my older girl this pattern in jersey here. Little M wanted one too, in fact it was her I chose the pattern for in the first place but I got side-tracked experimenting with knit fabric.


 My youngest girl will wear virtually anything colour wise so long as it is modest and comfortable. I don't know why. She hates wearing sleeveless or strappy tops or having bare legs - it may stem from  always being very slim, maybe she is trying to pad herself out a bit - who knows. Anyway, I knew this dress had to be lined so that she would find it comfortable with leggings as a tunic.


I also predicted that she would not like cotton sleeves which got stuck inside her cardigan sleeves so I made them in jersey and the main dress in cotton. This red fabric is a light cotton weave ideal for hard wearing children's clothes matched with a coordinating jersey.


I turned the raw edge of the jersey hem over once and ironed it down with hem tape then used a decorative stitch to 'overlock' the raw edge on the inside and leave a nice finish on the outside. I have used this technique a lot lately because my overlocker has been playing up. The hem tape stops the hem stretching and rippling so it looks sharp.


We added the iron on motif just because we had it and it matched the colours. Minerva have lots. I have a selection at home for ironing over holes in jeans.


She loved it and said it was soooo slippy on the inside. 
That is a good thing!





A great pattern with so much potential for using up bits and pieces.


Thanks for looking. Bye for now. Jo xxx

5 comments:

  1. Such a great make Jo! Your girls look so happy and gorgeous in their fabulous dresses!
    A great stash buster like you mention too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks lovely in her new dress. Clever of you to know exactly which fabric she will wear, ( and listen to her),otherwise the dress will stay in the wardrobe. Lovely pic of your girls together. They are lucky to have their own designer Mum.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, I love the little ice cream detail. A really useful pattern that one. It's good that she knows what she likes, a girl with her own mind. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your tips for more successful stitching, Jo. I appreciate your attention to detail! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful makes and beautiful models. Such a great idea to use those little embellishments for patching jeans, our youngest Grandaughter has always got holes in her jeans. I am wondering now if that is the intention everyone seems to wear torn jeans these days.

    ReplyDelete