Thursday 23 June 2022

June...ing

Lots more happening this month and it is all because we have had some much improved summer weather. May was just sew, sew, sew which is fab because I love my job but it makes for a dull blog post. So June, what have you brought us this year...

Picking - strawberries every night. We have a tally running and so far we have picked 7kg!! They are much bigger than last year due to the rainy month of May and the fact that I purchased a fruit cage to protect them.

Spotting - a cheeky squirrel with a whole strawberry in his mouth running away to enjoy it. It was one of the ones that had grown out under the frame.

Baking - banana bread, chocolate brownies, eclairs and Wimbledon cake; all eaten with strawberries.

Drinking - Homemade elderflower cordial. I love this stuff and think I might be able to get a second picking.

Listening - to my rhubarb and strawberry wine blipping away in the corner of the lounge.

Replacing - my broken ice cream maker. The paddle snapped and the motor burnt out so I got another one in the Lakeland sale. This is a batch of blueberry and, you guessed it, strawberry ripple. 

Arranging - flowers at church for my neighbour's daughters wedding. It is definitely a missed vocation for me. I last flower arranged for my own wedding about 4 years ago but I just seem to be able to pull it out of the bag - don't know how?? I was asked to help them, then asked to do two milk churns, I had a crisis of confidence and then whipped these up. Who knows? divine intervention perhaps.

I also did an arrangement on the font, one in an outdoor font and one on the bonnet of our vintage tractor too. I really enjoyed myself. 

Partying - until 2am at the wedding. Such a shame it was a freak rainy day on Saturday for a marquee wedding but everyone had a good time. Our girls loved staying up the latest they had ever stayed up too.

Knocking - up a pop-up wedding card.

Gifting - a new me-made handbag to my mum. She likes it and says it is a good size. I enjoyed making it too. The inside has the last of my Liberty cotton lawn as a lining.


Visiting - Croft Castle National Trust. My teen girls don't mind a walk around a garden as long as it is not too strung out and there is the promise of cake at the end.


Loving - watching Heidi continue to read and not always spend her time on her phone. Joyous.


Trying - to work from home outside! I think I should just be grateful for being able to work at home. It doesn't really work for proof watching videos or editing but it was worth a try. 

Buying - a new Indian parasol. It is fabric but needs looking after however, it is the most beautiful thing.

Acquiring - a guinea fowl. It is not ours. It just rocked up one day. I had to get rid of our cockerel. It was playing havoc with my working from home set up but now we have a rogue guinea fowl in the field! They are often used in pheasant pens to act as a guard for when foxes come because they make such a racket but this one has been very loyal by looking after our chickens so I have been throwing it grain. It roosts in a tree at night.

Sewing - McCalls 7322. I have sewn up every view for Minerva. I made this one to fit me, two to fit friends and another for Heidi. They are launching their own brand new exclusive fabrics. The viscose ones are a wonderful array of colours and prints and the jersey farbic on me isn't even out yet!

 

Hosting - my aunt and uncle for a week. They are the best house guests and we always look forward to them arriving, sharing great cooking and the girls love that they get spoilt. It was a lovely Jubilee week. We had a beacon bonfire in the field and drinks with our neighbours on our lawn.


Happy June. Hope June was fruitful for you. See you soon. Jo xxxx

7 comments:

  1. Your arrangements are beautiful. Is there no end to your talents?
    I am very envious of your strawberry harvest. Mine are rather thin on the ground this year, but they have been neglected of late. I'm hopeful the blackcurrants will make up for it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last photo and also the one of you and your daughter. Hurray for a new guinea fowl, that is a very fancy thing to have about the place. The flowers are absolutely gorgeous, very well done you. And the ice-cream looks very good too, I must get my ice-cream maker out. My youngest will walk all over for the chance of a piece of cake, I am always bribing him with edibles. The wedding card is fab, and the bag, honestly is there no end to your talents? :) CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are amazing! You definitely could have that as a career too you are such a good all rounder. I love the tops, we have been away this week so just arrived back to my work parcel, fabulous fabric. The bag is so cute and do I spot a sparkle in that piping? Have a super week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mum and daughter photo of you both.
    We have been to Croft castle a few times as NT members and it always a good day. Funnily, G is always keen to try out the cakes or cream teas whenever we visit a place like that :)
    I am impressed with your flower arrangements Jo. You are so talented x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you for your summer weather! It is pure miserable where I am. Berries are just the best at this time of year, aren't they? I love Heidi's wee bunny slippers, very cute. She looks so absorbed in her book, a joy to see. Love your June.... ing post, so much to be joyful about! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. An enjoyable June-ing post Jo, your flower displays look lovely. Warm sunny weather makes such a difference, the garden goes crazy with bloom. I've just ordered a pattern from the Minerva website to make myself a dress. I bought some material to make 2 x nightdresses a few years ago, so will make those first. I'm not sure how to find my way about the site, I saw you on there but unsure if you can follow along/search for makes etc. I'm guessing I need to sign up for an account. I liked that once I chose a pattern and selected material from the description, options popped up from other people. Also other needed items popped up - a zip and thread, so much easier and less bewildering that going to a shop sadly. It's New Look 6567, I'd be interested to know if you made this and if you posted about it please? Thanks Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made that pattern but it looks a good place to start. The website does take a while to get your head around. It relies heavily on using a # so if you search for #newlook6567 you will see an example of a maker. The best way to navigate it is to open an account. There is a new free pattern download coming soon so if you have an account you will be able to access it. Happy sewing! Jo x

      Delete