Monday 28 February 2022

Old Habits Die Hard

My sewing adventures of late have been varied - a mix of new habits and the old ones I can't let go of. I make online media content for Minerva which they are going to release later in the year so parcels of wonderful fabric and patterns arrive at my house weekly. It is my job to sample up the patterns and share the process so that makers can sew-a-long. Hopefully my teaching background and endless enthusiasm will stand me in good stead. This brushed cotton winter dress has been one of my favourite garments of late. It is called the Fen dress by Fancy Tiger Crafts. The pattern has lots of variations so I will enjoy exploring more.


Sometimes however I have to make a garment out of a fabric I am not so keen on and at first this was hard for me to do. In the past when sewing was a hobby, I tried hard to make sure that what I made was a really good use of my precious time alongside my teaching job. Now I have got over this and can happily make a garment as a sample because I am being paid to do so. I have to give some items a new home but my mum and my friends are happy with that! On the plus side, it does give me the opportunity to toile a pattern using a delivered fabric and then make it later for myself in a self-chosen fabric.


The Charlotte dress by Atelier Jupe patterns was the perfect example. The fabric above was so soft, drapey and such good quality but boy, who put those colours together?! Anyway, it might be right up someone's street but not mine. I absolutely loved the dress pattern though so I made it again in a piece of seasalt fabric I had been saving for just the right thing...and this tie waist dress was it. I made it a little shorter on the second run and got myself the perfect dress.



I still hold on to my own deep rooted sewing ethos which is to sew for my family by recycling as much as I can. Here is a shirt made for Andy from a tablecloth ready for summer. Well, why not? The cotton was beautiful quality.



I also like to support local sewing shops. If we bought all our fabrics online some shops would be gone altogether...a balance is good I think.


This embroidered cotton was in the sale at Abakhan from £21.95 a metre to £6.59 a metre so I just had to have 1 metre. It's green. It's cotton. It's botanical. I love it. One metre was perfect for the Datura blouse by Doe and Deer. Such a wonderful pattern with beautiful techniques which enclose all the seams and gives a brilliant bust fit for a vest top.


And finally, a trait you will know me for if you have followed this blog for a while - the using up of all the scraps in the most creative of ways.


This is the Scout Tee by Grainline Studio. It is a mix of embroidered fabric scraps I just didn't want to throw in the recycle bin. The Scout Tee is probably one of my most expensive pattern purchases, but definitely my most used. I could wear variations of these tops everyday.

I have also been working on a wedding guest outfit for my teen but it has been quite the negotiation. Can you imagine? More on that one later when I next round up my sewing adventures.

Off to check out your blogs with a cuppa now. Jo xxxxx 

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe you had chosen that flowery material for yourself, haha. I understand now. The Seasalt fabric is definitely you. Your man's shirt looks great too. Looking forward to seeing what you will make for the wedding guest's outfit. i love the new sewing room too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the floral fabric in the first dress - I think the colours are pretty! Although the print is a bit big, it is my preference to your chosen fabric in this instance, as it is those colours which are the ones that don't gel that much for me,sorry. I do love the little botanical top though as I find that fabric very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just how it goes, I knew it would be liked by many, just not by me. xx

      Delete
  3. Love the Seasalt fabric, very nice. And the little green top is absolute perfection. It must be so lovely working with fabric as a job as well as for fun. I am very much looking forward to seeing the wedding outfit for your daughter, she is very lucky to have a bespoke dress. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you would think so but flat chested 14 year olds are tricky customers!

      Delete
  4. Seasalt fabric is just so beautiful. I have a length of green Seasalt fabric with tulips on. The dress looks fab. I agree, it suits you so much better than the lilac floral version. Very you, the yellow Seasalt dress. Weekly parcels of fabric sound amazing! Your green fabric from your local shop is a great bargain. Love a good bargain. My local fabric shop is a bit rubbish, a preponderance of bridal, dancewear and curtain fabrics, such a shame. Online fabric mostly for me but mostly from small retailers, I guess I am supporting the High Street, just not my own. Good luck with the wedding outfit. Teenage girls know exactly what they want and can be fussy customers xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estupendas costuras y te felicito por las iniciativas de apoyar las tiendas locales y de reciclar-reutilizar-aprovechar. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one talented lady.I absolutely love your sewing.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if my comment posted so I hope I'm not duplicating!
    Basically as usual I am in awe of your sewing talents! Everything looks amazing, yes even the dress you didn't like.
    I've just restarted my blog at emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk , would be lovely to see you over there :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your makes, I know what you mean when you are working on a fabric you are not keen on it doesn't fill you with joy but yes you have to remind yourself it is work. I have a few things coming up like that. My issue is I don't like waste, but then when I was working in schools seeing a full pack of paper going through the printer constantly used to drive me crazy too. xx

    ReplyDelete