Thursday 5 August 2021

On the wild side and getting wilder...

 






I thought I would bring you an update on the wild jeans. They came about because I needed a new pair of jeans before lockdown March 2020 and hadn't got round to going shopping for some. Then of course there were consecutive lockdowns. I will not buy a pair of jeans unless I can try them on and all changing rooms have been closed even when visiting shops became available. I have momentously bought new jeans in the M&S sale this week.

The patching started with a little weak spot on the knee and progressed every month for sixteen months. Sometimes they just needed a little embroidery and other times they needed a full patch. This is where they are now. You can see the front crotch patch which is not the prettiest but it had to be done to save them. I have also made a severe dent in all the little iron patches I bought when the children were small but never used. That is how I came to have a water melon on my bum!

I always get comments about them when I wear them - all good so for, or maybe that is just my inflated sense of self-esteem! Anyway the journey continues. My new fabric belt looks well alongside them and I will be making more of these. If anyone is interested, the top is a super easy pattern from Maria Denmark called the day to night drape top perfect for the summer sunshine.

Have you got any visible mending achievements, do tell? 

7 comments:

  1. They're absolutely brilliant, I love them! All of my mending skills are focused on the sofa which is old and suffering from a life underneath three boys and a dog. It is not a thing of beauty. I stomp up and down quite a bit threatening to buy a new one before getting out the sewing machine yet again. Goodness knows how many reels of thread I have used on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! I am not surprised that you get lots of comments, they are so bright and cheerful. I went to a 'sashiko and boro' beginners class last week, so am willing a hole in my jeans so I can mend them LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They just get better and better! I love them. Don't ever throw them away. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are incredible, a piece of art. No wonder you get compliments! Enjoy and patch over and over on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unique, I just love them and you wear them so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such clever practical patching! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your blog very much. I obtained khaki colored stretch skinny cargo pants free from the church jumble sale where I volunteer. The ladies in charge objected to a small flap tear on one side of the butt, which I mended similarly. Pants fit great and were probably pricey originally. Wore them on a nature walk w/ my hubbie and he askedif I had sat down on seagull poop!! You are doing such a great job raising your girls. We only have an adult son... I never got to teach the womanly skills, though hubby had a fabulous time passing along his guy skills.

    ReplyDelete