Wednesday 17 February 2021

The New No-Sleeves Sensation

I think I may have found my new path for knitting. If I am hardly wearing my woolly jumpers in February in the depths of a UK winter, then it feels like there is no need to knit any more...but I love knitting! My new garment of choice is going to be sleeveless knits. I have found that in our new warm house I can comfortably work, keep busy and stay warm enough in a sleeveless top over a shirt.

The pattern is from a Drops magazine purchased from a charity shop in October. I did think the stitch pattern would be cables from the picture but it turned out to be easier than that by creating a knit 3 and passing the first stitch over to cinch in the pattern section.

 My mum made something from the magazine too but we both felt the instructions were a little strange. It just goes to show how  spoilt we are having so many patterns written in English, the English translation in the magazine was a little wayward but we helped each other out.


The top is made with Drops Paris so the whole thing came in at about £7 which is an absolute winner. The colourway was described as heather but it is more of a raspberry colour.


It was not without its dramas. I sewed up a shoulder, knit the neckband and just before sewing up the last shoulder I had a thought that it looked a bit small. Doh! It wouldn't go over my head. A little unpicking then picking up and re knitting the shoulders soon rectified the problem.

                          

This latest top is testimony to the discovery that I love wearing sleeveless. It was chosen to store away for summer but I loved the colour so much that I wanted to wear it straight away so I paired it with a white shirt and hey presto! Comfortable but not scruffy, I have loved wearing it. It has even been through the wash and still looks great. It made me want to make some more. Furthermore, you know me, it made me want to make a new shirt too!

Lately, I had lost my knitting mojo somewhere so I subscribed to The Knitter magazine which lead me to buy a book by Kate Davies which I read about in an article. I am all fired up again now. 


Guess what? there is a short sleeved 4ply knit in the book which is right up my new garden path. Wool is on order...exciting...

Are you knitting anything good?

Jo xx

12 comments:

  1. Glad you found your knitting mojo again. The new sleeveless top looks lovely and a very pretty colour. I'm currently switching between crochet and knitting. Hopefully both projects will get finished soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't be without my knitting - but do occasinally lose the mojo. I am currently knitting Kate Davies' "Balmaha" jumper in a different colourway with left over stash as I have already done one as per the pattern. I follow Kate's blog and subscribed to the 10 Years in the Making club. I love her patterns, although I always knit them longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite short boxy styles but I am short in the body so like that about them. I just love her designs. x

      Delete
  3. I have just finished a sleeveless crew neck pullover in King Cole Splash. (Fair Isle effect). It started as a slash neck drop shoulder but it felt too bulky under the armholes.I'm glad I re knit it , just upwards from the armhole. Love your sleeveless top.I remember doing that false cable on my son's jumpers when he was little. I like Kate Davies stuff too but its a bit complicated for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great and I love the image with the girls around the neck in that last pattern. Will you make that one? I can't wait to see if you do, it reminds me of those paper dolls we used to make holding hands. I can't say I have the same issue with being too warm, I love more of a summer wardrobe but my double glazing needs replacing and it has been pretty chilly around here. I don't have much in the way of warm clothes just layers! Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is called 'Paper dolls' !!!!

      Delete
  5. I have lost my knitting mojo for what seems like years now, but i just bought yarn and had a pattern in my Ravelry library that will work perfectly. Love your beautiful knit sweater my friend, it will work for every season. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love this colour on you and what a lovely setting too xxx hope you are all OK and staying safe xx it would be lovely to catch up when all this is over xx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a free paper dolls on free vintage knitting site. You could easily use that chart for hem and cuffs. Not for a yolk though. The chart is really for a 2 needle sock pattern, which I have used loads of times.I prefer to knit flat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you found your knitting mojo again. I never thought of making a sleeveless top, such a good idea. My dad used to call this type of garment his special "soul warmers". He loved them. I am always cold and our house is poorly insulated so maybe more of a summer project for me. How amazing is this raspberry red! One of my all time favourite colours, never get bored of it. Kate Davis is an amazing designer, I love her colour work. Never made a jumper or cardigan, just hats and gloves. I can't wait to see what you chose to make from the book xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me, it is of course the sweet paper dolls top you show! I only noticed it is short sleeved when I had a look at Kate Davis website.

      Delete