Friday 24 August 2018

Make a School Satchel

This is an epic make; a project of crafting proportions which I really enjoyed. I wanted to make a bag for my Big Girl who is going to Secondary School in September. 


 The pattern is called the Barcelona Bag from SusieDDesigns on Etsy but you could download any satchel style bag from the internet. The cutting out alone took a whole afternoon. It was advised to label all the pieces so I DID!


The fabric is grey denim with a combination of cotton fabric from the Camelot Fabrics Drops Coraline Quilting Fabric collection. I used one metre of denim and two fat quarters of each patterned fabric. I had a lot of denim left over, more on that later. Other specific haberdashery was required: thread, belt rings, interfacing, needlework plastic canvas and fusible fleece. I already had a nice recycled satchel strap.



I took my time with this make. It has been made in little stages since June. The pattern is in small steps which I crossed off as I went along ensuring that it was made properly.



Bag making is good for my instruction following skills. A successful bag is made in the right order, no going off piste or making it up as you go along. 



There were lots of little details: pockets inside and out, top stitching on the strap, strap ring and fusible fleece padding. The plastic in the base really gave it strength.



A new school bag satchel for my big girl, starting big school. 



I thought it would be too small but A4 books fit into it easily.



The denim gives it strength and the strap is comfortable.



The fusible fleece really adds to the professional finish on the pocket front and adds strength to the whole bag.

Internal pockets have little hiding places to stop things getting lost. She really likes it and her house colours are navy and light blue - I didn't even know that when I picked out the fabric. To top it off Bloke said, "did you make that bag or buy it?" Perfect!

Thanks Minerva for some top quality supplies.

Jo xxx

14 comments:

  1. Can you make me one next, please? This satchel is just perfect for your big girl and I am glad she likes it. I bet there will be satchel envy in her class, this unique one being at the centre of it :-)

    I don't have the patience for such a project, I tried but never got past the reading and re-reading of the pattern instructions in my bag making book.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bag is truly amazing and a fabulous addition to the Big School Journey. She’s just got to remember to take it and bring it home ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in awe (mostly of your patience ;) but obviously also the quality of the finished bag! What an impressive project, it looks so professional and I'm not surprised she loves it!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! What an in depth make but completely worth it. And what a perfect present for starting secondary school tool! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just wonderful! So professional and the fabrics work really well I'm sure she will treasure it. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely top drawer! Professional job. You must be really pleased and satisfied. ( especially with the comment from hubby)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing make and a perfect coincidence that you made it in your daughter's house colours! She will be so proud to carry it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful bag. Wow, where did the time go, big school already...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic make Jo! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That really looks like a professionally made bag! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's beautiful, clearly you are right to follow the instructions exactly, it's turned out perfectly.
    It's exciting/scary when your kids go off to secondary school. Probably more traumatic for you than your daughter(she'll be fine!) - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfect bag for school. I love how you mark every piece of pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW,I want one too.Phew,now that is really something.give yourself a Huge pat on the back,well done you,it's Fantastic I am in Awe.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another WOW from me, too, Jo! I can imagine the bag being treasured and well used...and as usual, I really appreciate you sharing the process of your make. Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete