Sunday 19 November 2017

As knitting unfolds

I love the way some projects unfold in front of your very eyes and what you see is immensely pleasing. Take this yarn for example. I was given it, I probably would not have chosen it, but it created the most beautiful ombre right there on my needles.


 


I only had two balls so I mixed in more grey than the pattern asked by using it to make the ribbing and neckband. It looked superb.


The pattern is from Sirdar. I added more plain grey to eek out the wool and I made more decreases in the sleeves because they looked a bit sloppy to me. I knit the back of the jumper in two nights such was my delight. But then an old chestnut reared its ugly head... How was I going to get the same (ish!) colour run on the front. 


I did not know if the balls were the same dye. I was having deja vu. I knit the back from the unbanded ball thinking I did not want to get caught out if it had a bit missing. For the front, I wound the banded ball into a new ball to find the same colour run to start. I kept winding. I kept writing down the colours as the ball revealed them. I kept winding but it didn't happen. That colour run was never repeated. AGGGHHHH! 



In the end I found a run that was close so at least it would not look like a trifle! I repeated the whole process of jeopardy for the sleeves as well. I mean, in the end, it was actually quite a lot of fun.



I must be one of the few knitters that like to sew up garments. This feeling has come since I learnt to do it well using mattress stitch, shown on the right hand side bar. You can see that the sleeve seams are 'seemingly' invisible. Suffice to say that my friend's boy, Bertie, loves his new jumper. 



Catch you soon. Jo x

14 comments:

  1. That turned out really well. Good job Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are back at the crafting and I know that makes you happy. Love this little sweater, such a wonderful project. The yarn looks wonderful. I need to get back to knitting, seems all I can do is crochet shawl after shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seaming too. There is some miss-information about mattress stitch, and how to do it, which I think leads to confusion. Once you have worked out what it is or isn't and found a good tutorial, and get practising it becomes fun. Sometimes knitting in the round leads to distortion or stripes get jogs in them (something that can be ameliorated somewhat) and the then I think flat knitting is best. Seams also provide support. As you show, they are nigh on invisible when done well and can be fun to do.

    I love the mystery element with your yarn, I don't care if things match up or not, so long as you can tell they are all made from the same stuff. The jumper looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing gift! I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet jumper Jo! I don't think the wee man minds if colour runs aren't matching perfectly :-)

    I never knit jumpers flat - not so much because of the seaming but because I hate purl stitches. I even knit cardigans in the round where possible and then cut them down the middle.... If I believed in the afterlife, my idea of hell would be to purl all day long (or empty the dishwasher). Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my purl stitches that stop me having a good tension because I don't like them either - not the same flow some how. Jo x

      Delete
  6. Super Jo,what a gorgeous pattern. Would anyone even think to look to see if the back and front colour matched perfectly? Only another accomplished knitter possibly. I'm loving mixed yarn, the scarf is now finished! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great jumper. I love the variety of shades. I can't quite work out want the make of wool is? Is it James Brett?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a vintage something called Loweth of Leicester County casuals DK. 75% acrylic with 25% wool. Soft with beautiful colour runs. Jo x

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful work, Jo! Your yarn stretching, color run blending efforts are truly admirable to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty love the colour blend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's beautiful, I usually eek out wool by doing the sleeves in a different colour (kind of like an American sports jacket style) but this is even more lovely. I'm going to find your mattress stitch tutorial right now and pin it as I must confess that sewing up is not my favourite bit at all!

    ReplyDelete